Hiking in Appenzell

Jun 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Hiking in Appenzell

I will have a day in and around the Appenzell area and I was wanting to do some hiking/walking/exploring of the outdoors. Are there some clearly marked trails that I won't have to take a train or bus to get to? Can I literally start from the center of town and find an interesting walk?

Other relevant info: I am in good shape. I am going to be by myself. I don't speak any German.

Any help/tips/experiences of Appenzell that you can share are appreciated! Thanks!
Jun 9th, 2011, 03:48 AM

Check into the "Barfussweg", or barefoot hiking path.
We did this several years ago. Gently rolling hills (no mountainous paths) through meadows and cow pastures (love that permeating scent) and past brooks.
I forget the particular/order, but start or end point is Gontenbad very near to Appenzell town, I believe accessible by train stop.
There is some information at www.wanderland.myswitzerland.com
and at http://www.letsgo-europe.com/Switzer...ll/hiking.html
It is perfectly safe, gentle and without risk.
Of course, if you wanted a higher level/more strenuous hike, you would have to take the bus, then cable car from Urnaesch up to Saentis mountain.
The town of Urnaesch has a nice regional lifestyle museum if you had extra time.
Jun 9th, 2011, 04:00 AM

The second site provided is especially good with photos and many hiking options provided.
You CAN hike directly from Appenzell, finding the start of the marked path to Urnaesch, timed at 3 hr 45 minutes-one way. The middle section of THIS hike includes the Barfussweg....Of course, you'll need to train or bus back to town!

Search this Thread