Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hiking Cinque Terre-what shoes and are hiking poles needed?

Apr 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Our family group will spend 4 nights in Levanto in June. We plan to hike all the coastal trails to Riomaggiore. I'm wondering how rocky the trails are and whether running shoes would be adequate for these trails. We do own hiking boots with heavy Vibram soles but would rather not pack these if not necessary.

Also wondering if hiking poles are a good idea on these trails?
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Hiking poles are required there if you are German, it seems. I never use poles, but I suppose they would be nice if you like using them.
The path is pretty well trod, so running shoes are OK. In fact we passed people doing the hike in flip flops. Go figure.
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM

We pack very light when traveling, so we only had running shoes. They were fine. My sister who has some back problems did not have poles (now she does!), but probably could have used one or two in some spots. I did just fine without them.
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Running shoes are fine for the CT trails. Take lots of water, too. Poles aren't necessary if you're able-bodied, unless you want to look like German tourist.
Enjoy CT! We fell in love with it.
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:08 AM

If you're anxious to spend money, I love my trail runners. They're like running shoes, but they're waterproof and offer just the right support and flexibility for rugged hikes.
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I feel much better about hiking in my sturdy running shoes. Would like to have the hiking poles but if only needed for one or two spots I guess I could manage by clinging to my DH's shoulder.

Apr 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Keep in mind the normal trails between the towns are not the only hiking options. Look up, there are trails in the mountains above, I have not been on them but I have heard that they are a little more difficult then the standard trails. But the views I have heard are rewarding. If your planning to hike only between the towns, poles, hiking boots are not neccesary.
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

brando
Thanks for the reminder about the other trails. I will have to put some more thought into this. I may take the poles if we decide to do the trails above the towns. Wonder if these trails are much less crowded.
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM

They are much less traveled, I believe one trail leads into a church??? We have a map of the area and there is tons of trails besides the town to town, explore. I am jealous, I would love to explore the more difficult/rewarding trails.