Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hiking Cinque Terre (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hiking-cinque-terre-160067/)

Greg Feb 13th, 2002 04:54 AM

Hiking Cinque Terre

My wife and I will be in Italy for 10 days in mid-March and would like to include a trip to Cinque Terre. We will be driving west from Venice to get to CT. We would like to leave our car near Monterosso and then hike down to Riomaggiore. My question is is there a place to leave the car near Monterosso (a train station perhaps) and if so is it near the hiking paths? Also, can we take a train back up to Monterosso from Riomaggiore rather than having to hike back the whole? Thanks!

ron Feb 13th, 2002 04:07 PM

I took a train to CT and stayed in Monterosso. As far as parking I remember cars parked near a restuarant called Belvedere. This is to your left side facing the water. It's also agreat place for lunch or dinner. Especially the hiuse special or fish appertizer. As far as hiking the trail to Vernazza is near the restuarant. This is the hardest hike and took us about 3 hrs. (were in our 50"S and had to take it easy). To hike all five in a day is doable but would recommend stay overnite in Vernazza and do the rest the second day. This would give u time to see towns. Yes u can take a local trian between all 5 towns. We did this and paid 6 bucks for all day ticket. It's the way to go if u want to save time. CT is gtrat take a camera on the hike. Some great shots on Monterosso to Vernazza walk. By the way the trails get easier as you go to the first town(rimmiornge)excuse my spelling

frank Feb 13th, 2002 04:15 PM

There is a parking lot in Monterosso. Leave your car there, and hike ?7 miles or so to Riomaggiore, stopping in each town to rest and eat and drink! The actual hiking should take 4-5 hours. In the last town, you can take the train back to your car, but for a little extra money, there is a boat that rides along the coast for fabulous views. You will have a great time.

stacy Feb 14th, 2002 07:20 AM

We will be doing this in May on our honeymoon, but hope to avoid driving. Is it possible to check your bags in one of the train stations and then just hike with a day pack for one overnight? If so, which would be the best town to start in? Or is the nearest station where you can check bags La Spezia? More advice is welcome.

Stacey Feb 14th, 2002 08:09 AM

I did the hike last year and it was incredible. It is quite strenuous in some area (I believe the hardest section was between Monterosso and Vernazza). I highly recommend doing the hard part first (so start in Monterroso). Many people don't do the whole 5 town hike. A couple may do the trick. There is a boat that rides between each town so you don't have to hike back. It is a much better way to get back to Monterosso than the train. You get to see more from the water. <BR><BR>Have fun and bring water!<BR>