hiking and restaurants in the Cotswolds

Sep 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Original Poster
hiking and restaurants in the Cotswolds

we arrive on 10/10 and will be staying in Upper Slaughter for 4 days and would really appreciate any great hiking ideas and casual restaurant recommendations that are hopefully within a 30 minute drive.

If anyone has a previous itinerary for the area would be great to review in advance of our trip.
Sep 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
the pub in naughton is fantastic....suggest that you book in advance....there are many restaurants in bourton on the water...

the indian restaurant in stow is fantastic, so are several others in the village
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Here's a link to our trip report from May 2007. We spent a couple of days in the Cotswolds.

Lee Ann
Oct 1st, 2008, 02:41 AM
Two walks I've particularly enjoyed in the area recently:

- Longborough through Sezincote to Bourton on the Hill then back a slightly longer route. The views of Sezincote are particularly striking, and you might like to coincide a walk here with days the house or gardens are open, though we boycott the place because they don't let the flannerpooch in. They can't ban him from the public rights of way across their grounds, though they try to by making the stiles dog-unfriendly. Or rather unfriendly to dogs less crafty than the flannerpooch. The pub in Bourton on the Hill, though gastro-ised and a tad pricey, does good lunches.

- Northleach to Farmington then roundabout back. Really outstanding views over Northleach for the last mile: the Northleach pub does OK cream teas if you don't share my view that "edible cream tea" is a contradiction in terms.

Both are in the Jarrold/Ordnance Survey 'More Cotswold Walks', available anywhere in the area with a cash till. Browsing the area on the OS trial shared-walk site http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ might give directions too: walks are being added here all the time.

There are no great restaurants of any sort in the area, and given the speed with with staff and managers churn, no recommendation based on experience over a month old has any value at all. Look at the menus outside, take a judgement and keep your expectations low. Which said, I've never been poisoned round here and haven't had a really bad meal out for about five years.
Oct 1st, 2008, 04:37 AM
For casual dining we like Wesley House in Winchcombe, right outside of Stow on the Wold.

The Lord of the Manor has a good restaurant but I wouldn't call it casual.
Oct 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM
I had dinner at the Kingham Plough in, you guessed it, Kingham only 2 weeks ago, which was way above average quality. Atmosphere is nice, the local brew quite tasty. Comes highly recommended:

Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:07 AM

I visted The Fox and Hond Taven in Gereat Wolford in 1980, This past spring I wanted to introduced it to my wife...checked the web and it was still there..surprise, surprise..as authentic as a century old tavern can be..excellent lunch by the fireplace..reasonable, and indeed casual.

It is eastof Moreton(A44 toward Oxford), just a few kms on the left, sign toward the litle village of Great Wolford. Try it...the drive itself is lovely.

stu t.
Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
excuse typos, please....of course, it's The Fox and Hounds..in Great Wolford.. (good rule: when in a hurry for an appointment, do not post on Fodors!)

By the way, the Upper to lower Slaughter walk or vice versa is very pleasant and scenic..beware of the sheep dips!

Search this Thread