COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HIking and biking summer adventure with teens

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Last summer we visited the Dolomites and Switzerland (Appenzell region) for a trip with our family (three kids age 9,14,16). Ortisei was a highlight for the amazing alpine hiking (max 10km/day) and mtn biking (teens are v. good riders). We stayed at Hotel Angelo Engel, a four-star, total perfection. Loved the size of Ortisei and the laid back feel. It was also easily accessible for taking lifts into the mtns and had great little restaurants and shops.
We are looking for something similar this summer in a new location. We are leaning towards France since our daughter is learning a lot of French in school and we really just love France. Possibly something near Chamonix but I don’t have any realiable reviews from friends or family. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are looking for a 10-14 day trip, maximum two locations, no big cities, preferable a little less touristy (Ortisei was perfect).
We are not interested in going back to Italy or Switzerland this time.
Thanks in advance for any locations, hotels, or other ideas.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 07:32 AM

Possibly less touristy in the Alps would be Briançon as a base.

Another possibility for mountains would be the Pyrénées, using Argelès-Gazost in the valley as a base, or Cauterets farther into the mountains.

https://www.france-voyage.com/cities...zost-25693.htm
https://www.france-voyage.com/touris...erets-1365.htm
https://www.france-voyage.com/tourism/briancon-1322.htm

A taste of the high Pyrénées:

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 07:51 AM

The obvious is along the trans-jura bike trail which follows the trans-jura ski trail. Generally there are some problems with MTN riders who think everything on the slopes belongs to them, where as the owners think they should be paid for tree damage etc, but if you take local advice you should do well. Mountain biking in the Jura Mountains, Franche-Comté - Freewheeling France
ah to have the knees!
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks that’s a great area to look into. Yes we have the same issues with bikers at home in Canada too. Any specific spot you would suggest as a home base?
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we have decided to stay closer to the Alps so I will look into Briancon.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 03:13 AM

Briancon a good bet.

You could also consider Morzine - had a good summer at this traditional ski resort some years ago with my , then, teenage children. Great mountain biking, summer luge, tennis, outdoor swimming pool, horse riding, white water rafting etc.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 03:27 AM

I would recommend the Massif Central or the Vosges. The Alps will be overloaded with tourists from the entire world, whereas the Vosges tend to have tourists mostly from Belgium and Germany and the Massif Central has lots of Dutch tourists. And naturally every single place will have no lack of French tourists (except perhaps Chamonix, one of the principal English cities of France).