Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hike Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg or Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hike-mannlichen-to-kleine-scheidegg-or-kleine-scheidegg-to-mannlichen-731987/)

wrenwood Aug 26th, 2007 12:35 PM

Hike Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg or Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen?

Okay, somewhere on this board someone said to be sure to hike in a certain direction so that the mountains are always in front of you.

Which way do I go ??????????

NeoPatrick Aug 26th, 2007 12:48 PM

I've done it both ways, and frankly there isn't much difference, but I suppose that person was saying from Mannlichen TO Kleine Scheidegg as the Eiger and the Jungfrau would be more ahead of you.

wrenwood Aug 26th, 2007 01:11 PM

Thanks!

Can you by any chance give me any clue as to how to pronounce these without sounding like a complete idiot?

annhig Aug 26th, 2007 01:21 PM

hi, wrenwood,

the good thing about german pronouciation is that it is pretty standard - so if you can pronounce a syllable in one word, you can pronounce it in another.

one rule to remember is that with "ie" and "ei", the second letter is the one you pronounce.

so "ie" is pronounced as in "Teeth"..sorry, got to go ,DD has flat tyre.

to be continued..

regards, ann

NeoPatrick Aug 26th, 2007 01:32 PM

I could be wrong, but it seems Mannlichen is pronounced in the "dirty" way it sounds like it might be pronounced.

kopp Aug 26th, 2007 02:20 PM

Kleine Scheidegg -
kly (like fly) nee shy deg (like leg)

Mannlichen -
man li ken (think chicken with man at the beginning)

Eiger -
aye ger (soft g, think her with a g)

Jungfrau -
young frau

Jungfraujoch -
young frau yawk

rosti :)
roast-ee :)

NeoPatrick Aug 26th, 2007 04:30 PM

Yep, I thought I was right about that Mannlichen pronunciation.

But I always thought everyone said "yoong-frau" not "young-frau"?

And is Eiger really a soft g -- like in judge?
eye-djer?

kopp Aug 26th, 2007 04:40 PM

Hi Neo! Maybe soft g isn't the right word. Let's see... g like in gorilla. eye-ger. Is that better?

Here's a couple more:

gluhwein -
glue vine
yum!

kalbsgeschnetzeltes -
I won't even attempt to pronounce this one, but it's sort of like beef stroganoff, only better!

NeoPatrick Aug 26th, 2007 04:46 PM

Ah yes, that's better. Thanks. I really wasn't sure -- now about yoong-frau vs. young-frau?

wrenwood Aug 27th, 2007 01:23 AM

Wow, MUCH more entertaining and interesting than a language CD !!!!! And easier to remember with "dirty clues, gorillas, chickens and judges"!

Any way to figure out which syllables to emphasize?

What's so special about "glue vine"? Is it a locally produced wine?

kleeblatt Aug 27th, 2007 01:32 AM

Jungfraujoch

Yoong frau yoke

Make sure your "ch" sounds like you are getting ready to spit.

Jungfraujoccchhhhh and then spit.

altamiro Aug 27th, 2007 01:34 AM

Yoong-frau is right

wrenwood, Glühwein is hot spiced (and often fortified) drink made of wine which is drunk outside in winter (in markets, etc.)

beaupeep Aug 27th, 2007 04:17 AM

And we say something closer to rawsh-tee than roast-ee. I say yoong-frau

kopp Aug 27th, 2007 04:44 AM

schuler, spitting :) I'll have to listen more carefully next time when they say yoong frau yoke. Can't ever think I've heard it said yoong instead of young. But you'd know better than me. Guess I just listen to the tourists-speak! My bad...

Have you tried any new trails lately?

kleeblatt Aug 27th, 2007 05:15 AM

No. My last trail was the bike ride from Ofenpass through Val Mora down to St. Maria. I highly recommend this hike for natural beauty, lots of marmots, cows and horses running around green fields and a beautiful river flowing through alpine pastures and framed by massive mountains. There are no restaurants or cars and only a few alphuts far between. For hiking, I'd start in St. Maria and end in Ofenpass. It's better on the knees.

kleeblatt Aug 27th, 2007 05:16 AM

When are you coming over? Maybe I could take you up the Mythen?

quokka Aug 27th, 2007 06:17 AM

"Yoch" with a short "o", not "yoke", and a nice "ch" instead of a "k" - ever watched Sesame Street? Remember Ernie's laughter? That's the sound!

kleeblatt Aug 27th, 2007 06:25 AM

Sorry quokka. It's definitely a long o, as in "oh". There's a loch in Jungfraujoch.

enzian Aug 27th, 2007 10:25 AM

Ah, Schuler--how I would love to hike that trail among the horses! The only place I've encounted horses on hikes was in the Dolomites (Haflinger horses---mares and foals out to pasture). So I'll put this one on my list.

wrenwood---if your plans for this hike include a lunch stop, there is a nice place with terrace (and table service) on your left (assuming you are walking toward Kleine Scheidegg) about 10 or 15 minutes before you get to KS, and thus out of the hubbub. I wish I could remember the name---I think it's Restaurant Lauberhorn---but it should be east to identify: A set of metal stairs leads from the terrace up to a great viewpoint.

We had a great lunch there.

kleeblatt Aug 27th, 2007 10:31 AM

Salü Enzian!

Another great place to hike where you'll see unfenced horses is Glattalp in Kanton Schwyz. It's located not too far from Mt. Rigi. My brother-in-law has his horses up there every summer.
see: http://www.raonline.ch/pages/ch/hike/hi_glattalp01.html