Hike Fira to Oia??

May 4th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Hike Fira to Oia??

Has anyone done this? We are visiting Santorini for one day 7am-6pm (cruise) and since we are avid hikers this sounds like it may be a great way to get away from the crowds. My guidebook states it takes about 2-hours. Is this correct? Also, we're not too worried about heat since this would be late September. We would take a taxi or bus back to Fira.

Has anyone rented mopeds on the island? We're considering this for the remainder of our time.
May 5th, 2004, 12:52 AM

Don't and Don't, get a taxi take your time and enjoy both places, take lots of film and have a lunch in the sun !
May 5th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Marko, any particular reason you don't recommend the hike?
May 5th, 2004, 04:09 AM

First let me tell you we didn't hike it, we drove it. The road there which may be a different track than the hiking section was not what you call scenic. Both Fira and Oia are beautifull places and I would hate to think you might miss out by spending two hours tramping. Do 15 extra laps of the cruise ship deck instead, the view will probably be better. Personal opinion of course. Also if the cruise ship drops you off at the old dock, don't take the cable car or a donkey up, walk it, that will get the heart rate up !
May 5th, 2004, 08:13 AM

It's about 7 miles between the two villages, not all flat. 2 hours or a little longer sounds about right. I've seen people walking it but I think that since you have so little time you'd want to be able to explore the villages instead. There are, however, other "walks" you could take. From Oia you can walk down the steps to the little fishing 'ports' of Amoudi and Armeni, both just below the village. Or you can walk down the cement road from Oia to Baxedes Beach, at least a mile's walk. Just walking through the villages will be exercise because of all the up-and-down stair paths.

Mopeds are another option, but the road is a bit narrow and the auto drivers slightly crazy. I don't recommend it for the novice or the faint of heart.

Unless you absolutely feel the need to get away from everyone, I agree with Marko. Take a taxi or bus.

I just had a thought...you could take the bus to Oia but get off once the village comes into view and walk the rest of the way. That would be a walk of a mile or two from where you can first see it. Just ask the driver to stop.
May 5th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I just had an even better idea:

Take the first bus out to Oia and decide along the way if you want to walk back to Fira judging from what you observe along the way.
May 6th, 2004, 12:28 PM
sisterleebore2004

I am rather surprised at the above advice, being someone who actually has at least done some walking on both Santorini and nearby Anafi island. I would thoroughly reccommend the route between Thera and Oia. The route follows the rim of the crater rather than the the dull road route a bit inland. Just take the cable car up the cliff to Thera and go north. It will take around 3 hours excluding stops, it will be pretty hot even in late September because of the dark rocks and the southerly aspect. Another route you might like to try is from Perissa to Kamari, via ancient Thera, there is a frequent bus from Thera to both places, this route is accurately drawn on the 'Road'edition map. You will definately not 'miss out' on anything (except the other cruise ship passengers and jewelry stores....).

May 6th, 2004, 03:14 PM

You have 11 hours less time that is taken up in getting you too and from the boat and waiting for it, say 1 hour, you should take an hour minimum for lunch, minimum time to wander Fira and Oia, say an hour each (too little), half an hour for for taxi fun coming back, 3 hours hiking, an hour at the Ancient Thira museum , did you want to shop and stop for coffee ?? Thats 8 hours, I suppose its up to you how much you want to hurry. If you had the luxury of a few days I would say go for it, walk everywhere, wouldn't you agree Sisterlee ?
May 6th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies. I think we will try the hike. We are not into shopping, we are quite active and like to be on the go when we travel, and live in and travel extensively in Europe-so we see lots of quaint villages. We do like to explore places on our own, since we're on a cruise this one way we can possibly "take back" our holiday.
May 7th, 2004, 12:18 AM

In that case.....enjoy, Santorini from any angle is an absolute feast for the eyes.