Highly scheduled or loosly organized?

Apr 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Highly scheduled or loosly organized?

Certain events need to be scheduled such as tours, reservations at name restaurants, ball games and theatre. Other sightseeing opportunities don't require such advanced planning. Do you plan in detail or are you a fly by the seat of your pants type? I tend to be the latter and really have no idea what I will see or do when I visit London for the first time. I have all my 46 years wanted to visit London or at least since listening to my first Beatles album so long ago. On a previous post I listed some of the thimgs that interest me but by no means is it hard and fast that I will get to see it all. Actually I am sure I won't see it all. My family does have a say after all. Looking forward to the adventure of it all. thereyet
Apr 1st, 2007, 10:41 PM

Consider planning enough to take a Beatles walking tour - it's cheap and very good. http://www.walks.com/
Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:47 AM

My life is highly scheduled so I don't like vacations to be. Other than the plane & where I'm staying, I'm pretty much unscheduled as much as possible.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:09 AM

Both. If there are certain sights we must see or we'll regret it, then we make sure to visit them the first few days. Other than that--we are more loosely organized.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:41 AM
ira

Hi T,

I plan in great detail and then let the plan go by the wayside.

Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Ira, thet sounds like the royte I am currently headed on. What are some of the pro's and con's of either? Can I save money by planning in advance or does it actually cost more money to do such? Some deals seem to be on the spot, like 2 for 1 theatre tickets. Other plans need more reliability like lodging. thereyet
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

I ment that sounds like the route im on in last post. oops. thereyet
Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:15 AM

Highly organized, loosely scheduled. I make few reservations in advance but if I go to a location, I know what is in the vicinity and what restaurants in the area are recommended.

It is my experience that the more times that you visit a place, the less pressed you feel to 'see it all'.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

My best idea to date is to compile a fairly comprehensive list, not a problem with all the suggestions everyone has so generously contributed. Then said list will be presented to my wife and 15yo son to choose from. After their choice is made I will inquire with the concierge as to what other sights from the list, or not, make sense to visit given proximity of the chosen sight. Meals will be pretty much by ear as to whats nearby. Sound like a plan? thereyet
Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM

I plan in detail and then have no problem dropping "scheduled activities" while actually traveling. We often don't hit everything on the itinerary, but that way I know what I am missing!
Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:47 AM

the concept of 2 for 1 theater tickets isn't a surprise that happens just because you didn't plan, nor is it a random stroke of luck. It's a discount system that has been in place many years and you can easily plan to do that one evening. Perhaps you won't plan the exact play to see, but you certainly can plan to do that.

I can't think of what would save you money that way in terms of attractions, but if you've always wanted to see London and have a list of things you want to see and are interested in, you are planning as far as I'm concerned, and that isn't just flying by the seat of your pants (although I know you think that sounds cooler to say that). The fact that you may not have an exact time or day mapped out for each puts you a little looser than the folks who do that. I don't do that much either, except if I'm only going to be in a city a few days and I know museums are all closed one or something like that.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM

I am a highly organized, loosely planned traveller as well. I do a lot of research before the trip, make flight, hotel, and car reservations - train too if it makes sense ahead of time. I've studied maps so I know the basic layout of where we are going. I've studied transportation systems. I have lists of recommended restaurants. I have a loose itinerary of what we should do each day with a list of what we really want to see and what we would like to see if we get to it. If we have a must-see that is better with reservations, then I go ahead and make the reservations ahead of time - if it will save us the trouble of waiting in a long line or get us a discount.

While on the trip, I have my lists and the loose itinerary, plus whatever info or we pick up on the way - each day we choose what sounds good to us. Usually we stick close to the itinerary - which usually only has 1 or 2 things to do on it anyway so we leave time for other things or doing nothing as the mood strikes us.

A lot of times, the unplanned things create the best memories.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM

Be sure you plan enough to know the opening and closing times and closed days of museums, etc. It is disappointing and a waste of time to get to a place only to find it is closed.

I just keep a little pad of places I may want to visit and decide that same day or the night before, according to opening times, etc.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi J and sea urchin, thanks for your replies. These are some of my worries wasting time either on travel, long lines or museum closings. Are there particular days museums are closed in London. Or are they closed different days depending on the museum? Is this information your typical concierge will be able to furnish? thereyet
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM

Another highly organized, loosely scheduled.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:44 PM

I would get a blank calendar for the weeks you are going, and pencil in any local holidays, any museum closures etc.

I also would group items you're interested in with their proximity to one another.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM

I think you will have to do a little research on opening and closing times and total closures before you get there. It may be a good idea to have a concierge double check for you after you arrive.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:57 AM

Plan Strongly and Travel Loosely

Make allowances for rain, unannounced museum closings, tired feet and romantic moments
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:14 AM

I try to organize my trips, but overestimate the time it takes to get from place to place and how much time I will actually spend in each place. That way, I get to see everything on my itinerary, but I also end up with several hours worth of 'unexpected' free time to get lost or go around that interesting corner.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Christina,

<although I know you think that sounds cooler to say that.>

You know???? thereyet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO