Old Mar 12th, 1998, 12:03 PM
Lindsay Baugh

Highly recomened Hotels for Edinburg Scotland

I would like to know some nice places to stay
in Edinburg, Scotland and would also like to know
what the best time of year to visit is!

Old Mar 14th, 1998, 08:49 PM
Old Al

Here we go again, Lindsay. One of the best hotels I ever stayed in is in the heart of Edinburgh, The George. Its dining room looks as if it was taken straight off the Titanic. It's a fine place. Unless you like crowds, avoid Festival time. Otherwise Edinburgh is a great city of walking. Take the Royal Mile downhill from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood House where Mary, Queen of Scots, lived. Take your time and enjoy Edinburgh.

Old Mar 16th, 1998, 04:52 AM
Lanny

I second The George. There is nothing in Edinburgh to beat it and it is convenient to everything. As for the best time to visit Edinburgh, anytime between May and October has always suited me. And I actually love it during the Festival time, crowds and all, because there is so much more to see and do.

Old Mar 17th, 1998, 01:20 PM
Karen

Third The George!!!

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 01:21 AM
nissa

The George? Do you mean George Inter-Continental Edinburgh? Or perhaps something a bit less expensive? I need to make reservations this week for a mid-June visit, but 175 to 190 pounds is out of my league. Was that The George you were thinking of? Do you suppose I can manage dinner for two there at less than 65 pounds?

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 07:35 AM
Tony Hughes

If you promise not to steal the linen napkins or the cutlery then they will give you a good deal, Lindsay. <BR> <BR>Tony (in Ohio!!!)

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 10:23 AM
Maira

Hey Tony!! what are you doing in Ohio? You are about 10 hours from our house....get on a car!!!

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 03:20 AM
Nigel Doran

Try Malmaison at Leith, an area of the city. <BR>It is a boutique-style hotel with a great brasserie, large rooms and attentive staff. <BR>Prices are (when I stayed there not so long ago) £99 for a double. I think it is cheaper during the week (£75?) <BR>They might have their site up and running. Visit www.malmaison.com or co.uk

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:44 AM
JMM

If you would like to try a Bed and Breakfast, I recomend Joppa Turrets Guest House. It is very reasonable (about 20 pounds a night per person). The breakfast is great, good choices. <BR>It is located on the Firth of Forth ( all rooms have great views) about a 15 minute bus ride (very frequent buses) from Princes st.(city centre). We were there last year in the middle of September and found that an excellent time to be there. The Summer and Edinburgh festival crowds were gone but the weather was still very nice.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 11:14 AM
Sheila

The Scandic Crown in the Mile is pretty good at that end of the market (now the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza). And I recently stayed at the Tavel Inn in Morrison Link for £42/night. Basic but central. The Premier Lodge in the garssmarket is the same principal. <BR> <BR>I would do that and eat in nice restaurants instead; although the last time I stayed at the George I was under £100/night.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 06:36 PM
Dave Hutchinson

My wife and I stayed at the St. James Thistle Hotel a few years ago. It was super convenient to everything including just across the street from the train station. Edinbugh is a wonderful city. -Dave- www.CrazyAboutTravel.com