High Speed Train: Barcelona to Madrid

Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

High Speed Train: Barcelona to Madrid

Hello All,

Which is the best high speed train to take from Barcelona to Madrid?

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

http://www.raileurope.com/train-faq/...w-to-book.html

thank you
Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM

There is only one high-speed train between Spain's two largest cities and they go about every hour - the EN train may be a night train - I do not know - but there is also a slow=speed overnight train between the two - save a night's hotel costs, etc.

Best to book at www.renfe.es - the Spanish Railways web site though it can be flummoxing to say the least at times if Fodorite complaints are any harbinger of that. RailEurope also books those trains but at usually higher prices but if you cannot get the renfe.com site to work and are the type who wants everything in hand before leaving the extra charge could be priceless - but have no fear of just showing up and buying tickets - the worst that would happen is that you may have to go first class though even that would be rare IME - the reason to buy ahead at renfe.es is to snag some nifty discounts - otherwise just go to any train station or travel agency in Spain once there. Note if you do have to go thru RailEurope then I would advise doing so thru BETS (www.budgeteuropetravel.com and talk to Byron - a RE agent but so so much more knowledgeable and great personal service IME of buying railpasses from him for years. But again try renfe.es for the cheapest tickets and have no fear of just showing up and getting tickets as trains are so so frequent. The overnight train as well IME but do try to book that at least a few days ahead of time. Check the RENFE rail desk at Madrid's airport for easiest booking upon arrival.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM

The trains are all run by RENFE, the Spanish national railway. The best one is the one that goes at the time you want to travel.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM

RailEurope is a ticket agent for the various European railways, it doesn't run the trains. RENFE is the national railway of Spain, as GH said above.

The overnight trains are ridiculous. There's no indication on RENFE's pricing that the trains have sleeping accommodations (but go delve into that for yourself) and the train takes 9+ hours to cover a 2.75 hour run on the fast train, with some LONG stops at stations in the middle of the night.

The trains aren't cheap -- over 100E in economy compared to far less to fly on Vueling.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:20 PM

'The trains aren't cheap -- over 100E in economy' - not so if you are able to plan ahead. Read one of several procedurals, such that you can purchase fares as much as 60% discounted.

http://tiny.cc/xgsxn

http://tiny.cc/yw8vf

Additionally the journey Madrid to Barcelona by train is city centre to city centre which may make a difference to your time and monety balance compared with a flight.
Apr 23rd, 2011, 06:09 AM

what WB said. last year we paid a bit over 42 euros Madrid - Barcelona on Renfe.
Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

thank you everyone- so I can even have my hotel help me once i am there?