Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hide your chickens! The bird flu is coming. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hide-your-chickens-the-bird-flu-is-coming-567002/)

kleeblatt Oct 26th, 2005 02:37 AM

Hide your chickens! The bird flu is coming.

The Tamiflu has been found in parts of Europe (Turkey and Romania). They are expecting cases to pop up in other parts soon.

The Swiss government has told all bird owners to keep their chickens, etc. inside. This goes for zoos as well. The flu is spread by migrating birds.

There's rarely a day where we don't read about the bird flu. However, scientists also stress that as long as you do not have direct contact with birds, you are not at risk. Properly cooked poultry will kill off any virus. Eggs do not have the virus either.

vicky_pollard Oct 26th, 2005 02:49 AM

Is this supposed to be news? The first cases of bird flu in Turkey were reported over 2 weeks ago. And as Tamiflu is the vaccine that is used to protect humans against the virus, I didn't know it had been lost, but I'm glad to hear that it has now been found.

Voyager2006 Oct 26th, 2005 02:50 AM

One of the best sources of accurate information about this phenomenon can still be found on the CDC website at www.cdc.gov

It is impartial, unemotional, and does not include any pictures of Ms. Spears, either.

kleeblatt Oct 26th, 2005 03:00 AM

Yes, Vicky, this is news. Europe is now effected directly. It's on the front page every day.

Thanks for explaining the meaning of Tamiflu.

Voyager2006: Thanks for the website. It does provide very good information and precautions. I've only read about the bird flu in German so far.

vicky_pollard Oct 26th, 2005 03:05 AM

"It's on the front page every day."
Exactly and has been for some weeks, so my point was that it's hardly new news

kleeblatt Oct 26th, 2005 03:19 AM

Vicky, if you were a Swiss farmer or zookeeper, you would understand the urgency in this situation. Up until now, you could always let out your chickens. Up until now, you could always go to a zoo and see the birds outside. As of yesterday, you can't do this anymore.

I don't know how long this situation will last.

vicky_pollard Oct 26th, 2005 03:33 AM

Schuler if I were a Swiss farmer or zookeeper I would certainly understand the urgnecy and wonder why it had taken this long to be reported, since here in the UK we have known about it for several weeks.

Florence Oct 26th, 2005 03:34 AM

Bonjour Everybody,

May I remind you that during the Sars epidemic of 2004, less than a hundred people died in the worst affected regions, where poultry is raised and slaughtered in less than ideal sanitary conditions, and human health conditions are almost worse ?

Since vacations spent visiting poultry slaughtering operations are not the attraction it used to be, I don't think bird flu should be a traveller's first preoccupation ;-)

vicky_pollard Oct 26th, 2005 03:38 AM

By the way Schuler, I was not trying to understate the seriousness of the situation, just to point out that it's hardly breaking news (well not in the UK and most of the rest of Europe anyway), as you seemed to be reporting it as.

vicky_pollard Oct 26th, 2005 03:48 AM

Oh, and another thing, if you are as worried about this as you say you are, then you could have chosen a less light-hearted title for the thread. I'm sure that many Swiss farmers would find this quite offensive and upsetting.

zippo Oct 26th, 2005 04:07 AM

Tamiflu is NOT a vaccine.It is an anti-viral drug, given after infection, not as a preventative.There is no vaccine for this virus.
We cant be sure the drug will work against mutant forms of the virus.
Doctors say if Tamiflu is given out as a preventative it could slow the virus's spread but equally it would encourage a drug resistant mutation.
The worry is not the virus as it occurs in birds, but mutated forms which infect humans.
This is a normal way for flu viruses to start (as mutations of bird flu) but this one is particularly nasty.
The hope is that although mutation may make the virus more infectious to humans, it will also weaken its effect.
CAUTION : medical advice should not be sought from know-nothings like me on websites.

vicky_pollard Oct 26th, 2005 04:35 AM

"Tamiflu is NOT a vaccine.It is an anti-viral drug"

Got that one wrong then didn't I? Still relieved that they've managed to find it though.

Love your disclaimer Zippo :-) Maybe I should find one of my own. Something like "Warning: This reply may contain errors which may be pathetic attempts at humour or may just be errors"