Hidden Gardens of Paris

Jul 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Hidden Gardens of Paris

I don't recall seeing it mentioned on this Forum, but a friend who knows we are going to Paris in October just gave us a book that looks really neat. It is called "Hidden Gardens of Paris", by Susan Cahill. Published in 2012, and is subtitled, "A Guide to The Parks, Squares, and Woodlands of the City of Light".

I have had not had time to read it, but it has a map in front that shows the locations of some 40 such beauty spots. It gives location, Metro stop, hours, a short description, a picture, and things that are nearby.

I'm touched by the gift, and just thought I should pay it forward by mentioning it for folks that are looking for a new place to have a picnic.
Jul 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM

What a lovely gift. The last time I was in Paris it was quite hot so I leisurely strolled around each day and discovered many small squares and gardens. Paris abounds with them. I bet your book has included the most beautiful ones.

About 10 years ago the New York Times printed an article on secret gardens in Paris (I recently posted a link to this article on another thread). It's an interesting article in which the author mentions several popular and out of the way gardens.
Jul 21st, 2012, 07:04 PM

I've just requested this book from my library - can't wait to get it.
Jul 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM

My husband and I are going back to Paris in September and have purchased a small book called "Quiet Corners in Paris", by Jean-Christophe Napias. In addition to gardens, the author includees cloisters, courtyards, passages, arboretums, and winding lanes, which are identified and briefly described. All entries are accompanied by beautiful photographs! Both informative and lovely to page through!
Jul 26th, 2012, 08:01 AM

I found that book a couple of years ago and treasure it.
Jul 26th, 2012, 10:00 PM

In 2010 we made it a point to visit more than 2/3 of the "quiet corners" and enjoyed both the pursuit and the often-somewhat-out-of-the-way places it took us to. We did note that a few were locked or otherwise inaccessible.
Aug 10th, 2012, 01:21 AM

I am so glad I found this thread! Nukesafe that is wonderful gift and thank you for sharing, I am going to Paris at the end of Sept.

Adrienne - if you see this could you post that link here too?

twocatz - I am going to look for the book you mentioned too.
Aug 10th, 2012, 04:18 AM

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rs+of+of+paris

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rs+of+of+paris

Wonderful information. We are always looking for that unexpected place in our favorite city. I'm going to get both books.
Aug 10th, 2012, 04:21 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Gardens...rdens+of+paris

Sorry, I posted the same book twice. Here's the other one.
Aug 10th, 2012, 04:48 AM

anne - this is not the article I was referencing but it's a newer article on Paris gardens.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/06/29...ardens&st=tcse

I don't know if I have a link to the older document but if you send me an email (check my profile) I can send you the article as a Word document.
Aug 10th, 2012, 05:05 AM

Thank you so much Adrienne.

TPAYT - thank you for your links too!

I really look forward to a slow pace so I can soak up the serence and quiet places. This is my 5th time there and most of the others were whirlwind tours of the major sites. I look so forward this !!

Adrienne - I will send you an email - thanks!!
Aug 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Here's the article I referenced above.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/17/ma...ted=all&src=pm
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind and helpful respinses. Both the book and your input will make my early October in Paris even more lovely.
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

That was supposed to be "responses"! Got to pay attention to my spell checker.
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:20 AM

I have used both of the books mentioned on several trips to Paris. And enjyed ate parks and squares immensily. Anoth I found and used last trip and will again in ctober is Leonardm Pitts's Walk through Lost Paris> he details and explains how caertain places have changed over time and why and the famous people who lived there.
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:23 AM

I was able to get a copy of Hidden Gardens from the library. My 2 weeks with the book is up and I had to return it so I immediately put my name on the reserve list again. I loved the book and recognized many small gardens that I had stumbled upon during my walks.

Hope my libraries have the other books mentioned here.
Sep 9th, 2012, 05:46 AM

What a wonderful thread! Thank you nukesafe for sharing and for starting such a wonderful discussion. I can't wait to utilize this information. I'll be in Paris in November which isn't the optimal month for viewing gardens but I look forward to exploring hidden squares, nooks & crannies. Thank you all for your contributions.