Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hidcote Manor Gardens in September
Notices

Hidcote Manor Gardens in September

Jul 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Hidcote Manor Gardens in September

I will be in England in September and have only one day to visit the Cotswolds. I would like to go to either the gardens at Hidcote Manor or at Sudeley Castle. Before I decide which I would like to know what will be in bloom then. Does anyone know how I can check this? Thanks for your input.
Jul 27th, 2013, 02:24 AM

What will be out on an unspecified date somewhere between four and nine weeks away? Here, with this year's weather?

You're joking, surely? The whole point of Hidcote is its diversity: prediction is for racing tipsters, not gardeners.

As a sort of hint, go to http://www.heatheronhertravels.com/h...gardens-video/, which is a video of Hidcote at the very end of August two years ago. 2011, at least after about early March, was a pretty normal year for round here, so all other things being equal you'll get something like what's on the video.

But all other things never are equal.

Note that autumn foliage isn't a thing here: the English equivalent is the snowdrop to bluebell cycle between late winter and early spring. If leaves start turning early and you're planning late September, Batsford Arboretum is likely to be on your way and is better (or less mediocre) at autumn foliage than Hidcote.
Jul 27th, 2013, 03:02 AM

The roses were gorgeous when I went to Hidcote in mid September but the weather has been odd this year, to say the least.

For questions like this, I don't understand why you don't contact the gardens themselves, a bit closer to your planned visit.
Jul 27th, 2013, 03:43 AM

if it's autumn colour you want, another good bet would be Westonbirt Arboretum, in the south of the cotswolds, just past Tetbury.

there are likely to be some roses at Hidcote in September, but other than that, who knows?

Search this Thread