Search

Hey, I'm in Turkey right now.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I'm in Turkey right now.

Hello,

This is Erik from Seattle. I posted a while back and I thank you all for the tips. My family of 4 (myself, my wife, college-age daughter, teen son ) spent a few days in Istanbul, then flew off to a 4-night gulet trip. We're glad we did the gulet trip, although a little surprised when presented with the drinks bill. It wasn't that we consumed a lot of beer -- 7 total -- it was the Cokes that ran it up. $184 US!! I was paying $12 US per 16-ounce bottle of pop. Plus, I was charged for coffee when I had coffee before the "scheduled" breakfast time. I kept the drinks bill as a souvenir. Anyway, the scenery ewas beautiful and we loved swimming in the warm waters.
Now we're staying in Marmaris -- I had a taxi driver take me around and we found a nice place. Next we're planning to go to Cappadocia for a cave a hotel and hot-air balloon ride. I don't know about flying there, since we'd have to go back to Istanbul and fly out of there. Rent a car? Take a bus?
The weather is hot here, but nothing that can't be dealt with. Love the food and friendly folks.

Best,

Erik
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:03 AM

erik:

We corresponded briefly in July..happy you decided to go...wish I had known you planned a gulet trip, I would have warned you about the drinks...it's somewhat a big game among gulet owners, but if you address it up front, accomodations can be negotiated.

Suggest you fly to Kayseri, and rent a car there...drive to Urgup (an hour)to
get into the Esbelli Evi cave hotel..the best. Use that as a base for three days or so and you'll see most of the sights in Cap. Then fly back to Ist. from Kayseri. Be sure car has A/C.
Stu T.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Glad to hear that you had a good Gulet trip. A bit surprised to hear that there's anything halfway decent in Marmaris. Could you please post the name of the hotel?? We were there a few weeks ago, and thought the town and our hotel ( Marti La Perla) were just awful. Maybe it was bad luck on our part?
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 09:45 AM

LOL, Weadles - you beat me to it!! I am very interested in the name of a nice place in Marmaris too.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Hi again Happy!!

There are two Marti La Perla resorts in Marmaris. We stayed at the all-inclusive, which might have been among our worst all-time stays anywhere, to say nothing of the inedible food! Anyway, the other Marti La Perla, which was closer to town is supposed to be a lot nicer, but I didn't know that when we booked!
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Hey Wisconsin, I thought you left already...in Marmaris we stayed at the Grand Azur (5-star) and in the low $100-range (five years ago)..on the beachside walkway in downtown Marmaris
(Mar'- ma -reece)..may have had a name change since then...and rates have probably balooned. Fine place atvthat time.
stu T.

http://www.hotelgrandazur.com/
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM

....note: name change refers to the hotel, not the city! Althugh the hotel web page still used "Grand Azur"..
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:09 PM

LOL Stu, I don't go til next MAY!!!

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM

I also started to read some of the Trip Advisor reviews for Hotels in Marmaris and am rather horrified by the descriptions of even "the best" places. They sound as if they host hoards of package tourists (drunk ones at that ) an all have the name club or apartment in them. I swear, if I have to stay in Marmaris to get to Rhodes, I just might skip Rhodes!

Weadles, I think the Marti Resort might be the nicer one you were thinking of? The pools do look great, but we won't have any time for that sort of thing.

Hotel Azur doesn't look too bad either, though it is huge and I won't use the amenities. No prices listed.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 12:30 AM

Glad you are having fun, but I would get the heck out of Marmaris. We took a bus out as quick as we arrived and had a lovely stay at the daffodil in Fethiye.

I second Esbelli Evi which sets the standard for cave houses and is just divine.We stayed a week in Cappadocia and could have easily stayed another week. Urgurp, Goreme, and Uchisar all have very different flavors and lovely places.

We have just uploaded a bunch of info and pics on our three weeks in Turkey in JUly:
http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/blog.html

More to come, but perhaps it will be of use to you.

We just drank water so had no problem with our bill on the gulet.

Enjoy!!