Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hermitage or Continental in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hermitage-or-continental-in-florence-316974/)

marymac May 14th, 2003 01:21 PM

Hermitage or Continental in Florence

Will be staying 3 nights in Florence in September. Getting some mixed reviews on the Hermitage which is $256.00/night. Looking for something near the Ponte Veccio. Don't want to spend any more than that. Many Thanks

fluffy May 14th, 2003 01:36 PM

Mary-try the hotel Torre Guelfa, near the Ponte Vecchio www.hoteltorreguelfa.com-
to look at photos. log on to www.florenceby.com-but book through above web site-
Florenceby.com has mean cancelation policies.
I have a reservation for Sept. at 180 euros for deluxe double for 2. The hotel has a wounderful tower with great views, they serve breakfast & afternoon cocktails.
Good luck
Fluffy

maitaitom May 14th, 2003 01:47 PM

Hi Mary. I actually saw your itinerary before. We stayed at a few of the hotels you are thinking about this trip. We stayed at the Hermitage in Florence in May 2001, and it was terrific. It has a nice rooftop terrace that looks out over the Ponte Vecchio. We had wine and snacks there every afternoon after sightseeing, and they served breakfast on the terrace or in a nice breakfast room. I did not have any trouble with noise at night, but we did have one light sleeper with us who said she did hear a little during the night. The windows are double-paned, and I didn't hear anything. The front desk made great restaurant recommendations and were incredibly friendly. They gave us all a bottle of wine when we left.

We also stayed at Pension Accademia in Venice. It was also very nice. Garden in back where they served drinks and a patio in front for your breakfast during the warmer months. It was quiet.

The Hotel Florence in Bellagio was good, except for one thing. The first night we had a room that did not face the lake, and it was quiet. The next night we had a view room in the front. Unfortunately the hotel bar is in the front, and I did not get to sleep until 4am. If I'd known I wasn't going to get to sleep, I would have joined them a couple of hours earlier.

All three are good hotels and good bargains considering you're in some pretty expensive towns. Have fun.

Maggy May 14th, 2003 02:31 PM

The Hotel Continental in Florence has just recently been completely refurbished. It is owned by the same group that owns the Lungarno, Hotel Art and Lungarno Suites. Although I haven't been to the hotel since it has been redone the website shows it to be modern and sleek. The location is directly in front of the Arno. I have stayed at their other hotel the Lungarno and absolutely loved it...I'm sure the Continental would be great.

dflawyer May 14th, 2003 02:41 PM

We stayed at the Continental in Florence. We booked in November for a July visit and we asked for, and received, a room with a view of the Ponte Vecchio. The view from our window was fantastic, we looked right on to the bridge (some 5 stories up) and the river, yet there was no noise. We breakfested on the rooftop terrace, and the location was central for walking the city.

GailT May 15th, 2003 02:29 PM

i say skip the Hermitage. the only thing we liked about it was the rooftop terrace for breakfast. the rooms were very small, it was on a very noisy main strada and the parking was bad.

we stayed there our first of 13 visits to florence. the other 12 we stayed at the Hotel Silla which is right on the Arno on the other side (opposite the hertmitage) and one block down from the ponte vecchio. i cannot recommend it enough. three of us stayed in a spacious room for about $250 US 2 weeks ago. they have a website.
ask for laura at the front desk and tell her gail, peter and their son alex sent you.

be sure to make your way every nite down Via di Neri for the best gelato in florence at Neri's. it's cheaper and better than the overly publicized vivoli.

see my Quick Tips on florence elsewhere for more good info.

GailT

dickv May 16th, 2003 07:32 AM

Good morning, marymac
Have used the CONTINENTAL, about 8 times
since 1979 and have always been completely satisified with its staff and
etc. The street side rooms are noisy
with the Vespas at teh stop light at
the foot of the Ponte Vecchio, rear
rooms are much, much quieter. The front rooms have the view, which is worth the noise. Excellant locatiion
at the north end of the Ponte Vecchio and about 5 mins walk to the Duomo..
Plenty of ristorantes, just across the
bridge is CELESTINO, and MAMA GINA...
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

marymac May 16th, 2003 07:55 AM

Thanks for all the info. Actually called to Continental and its 330 euro/night. Which, according to a friend who has stayed there several times, is definitely overpriced. Fluffy, tried the Torre Guelfa, but it is booked. The Hermitage wants me to send a check in AM $'s for one night. I'm a little sceptical about that. Still poring over info about that neighorhood in Florence. So many choices. If it helps me decide, we are 2 single friends, f, late 30's. Thanks mary

maitaitom May 16th, 2003 09:20 AM

"The Hermitage wants me to send a check in AM $'s for one night. I'm a little sceptical about that."

We had to do the same thing, and everything was fine. As far as the one post from the person who did not like Hotel Hermitage. If she has been to Florence 12 times since then, I would say it's been a while since she stayed here. The windows are now double-paned and our double room was spacious with a nice bathroom. There is noise just about everywhere in Florence, it being the vespa capital of the world. I have no qualms recommending this hotel. And, as I stated before, the front desk people are extremely friendly and helpful.

MarieF May 16th, 2003 10:27 AM

My husband and I stayed at The Hermitage last summer and loved it. The location was terrific, the hotel staff very accommodating, and we had no problem with the noise. I thought that our room size was adequate and we had a great view of the bridge. We also had to send one night in advance and it was not a problem. Also, we had a car and were able to find the hotel very easily using the website directions. Someone from the parking garage they use picked up our car and delivered it to us when we left. No hassle! We would definitely stay there again.

maitaitom May 19th, 2003 01:08 PM

"So many choices."

I have seen a few more ((Y)) ((Y)) ((Y)) for Hotel Hermitage lately. I think you'll be ;;) with this choice.

marymac May 20th, 2003 07:34 AM

Many thanks for the help. Maitaitom will be glad to know I sent my check to the hermitage today. Looking forward to my first trip to Italy in Sept. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions before than, Bye for now Mary