Germany Itinerary - is this too rushed?

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany Itinerary - is this too rushed?

We are planning our first trip to Germany in May. We will have a rental car (AutoEurope 2 weeks for $540!) I have scaled back to the bare outline of places and overnight stays below. Do you think it is still too rushed? Should we cut something? if so, what? I am counting on you experienced travelers for guidance...Thanks!
Arrive Frankfurt - pick up car
Cochem 3 nights
Burg Eltz, Mosel, Bernkastel
Eisenach 1 night
See Wartburg Castle
Wittenberg 2 nights
See Luther sights
Etting 1 night
Stopover on way to Munich
Munich 4 nights
Residenz, sides to Salzburg,
Linderhof Palace
Rothenberg 1 night
Night Watchman's tour
Mainz 2 nights
Gutenberg Museum, Worms Cathedral
Fly home from Frankfurt
It's a lot of driving, but I hope is doable. My husband does not like high mountain cliff driving, so the journey toward the Bavarian Alps is a concern. What do you think?
Thanks so much!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:29 PM

It looks like a well-planned itinerary to me. It wouldn't be too much for me. However, as you'll know, if you've spent much time on this site, many people like a more leisurely, condensed itinerary. In the end, it's your choice and preferences that will govern.

As far as the driving is concerned, that's part of the pleasure for my sis and me. The scenery in Germany is just wonderful, the roads are very good, and the drivers, while speed demons, are generally very competent. The only place you might anticipate "cliff driving," is on the way to Salzburg - I've never been there and so can't speak to that area, but we've driven to the rest of the places you mentioned, and it was a piece of cake, just a treat!

Have a fabulous time!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mary_Fran, your input is encouraging, especially since you say that the only cliff driving might be near Salzburg. We are taking a train for a day from Munich, and I think, on a train, the vertigo should be minimal. Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:59 AM

Mary is correct, this would be way to rushed for me. I could easily spend a week wandering down the Mosel, & I don't think you are giving Salzburg or Rothenberg sufficient time to do them justice. Everything you have mentioned is worthy of seeing, but Linderhof will take the better part of the day, & then you have to train back to Munich (?). I am also not fond of picking up & moving so many times, but prefer to work out of a couple of central 'bases' instead. I also try to build in some down time or unplanned time as you never know what you may wander across something & just decide to 'wing it'. For example, last time on the Mosel we stumbled upon a little town Winefest & ended up stopping & spending the night there, after speaking w/one of the wine merchants (& enjoying a wholesome portion of their product). Follwoing this trip I would need a vacation to recover...lol but to each their own. I always assume I will have the ability to go back to places I particularly love, so I don't try to do too much.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Thanks SanParis - it helps to hear different points of view. As you say, a more liesurely two weeks is preferable, but then again, if we have to miss something, we will have a good reason to come back later. Even though we've never been to Germany, our research and the info from Fodorites tells me us we'll want to go back. Many thanks to both of you for your input...