Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Here we go again. Travelcards and Oyster Cards

May 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

We'll (my 19 y.o. son and I) be arriving at Gatwick at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon. At this point, I'm thinking we'll take the Southern Railway train to Victoria where we'll switch to the tube. After we get settled into our hotel, we'll be going out that evening (we're coming from Barcelona, jet lag won't be an issue). So will probably take the tube again.

On Saturday and Sunday we will definitely be using 2 for 1 offers. While we don't plan to use any on Monday, I'm hoping to be at St. Paul's when they open (we have GB Heritage Passes). So we'll be traveling during peak hours.

On Tuesday morning we'll be taking the tube to Kings Cross to catch our train to York.

So should we go for Oyster PAYG to cover Friday and Tuesday and three day travelcards for the rest?

I know that, theoretically, we can get by with one travelcard to use the 2 for 1s. But what if they ask for two? And we probably don't need the travelcard for Monday. But I kind of like the idea of getting one on Saturday morning and then not having to worry about getting another one Sunday. (Or can we not travel during peak hours with the travelcard on Monday morning?)

Does this make sense? Or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks!
May 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM

There are no peak hours on weekends. On Monday morning, you'll just pay higher fares and your cap will be higher.

Get an Oyster and load it with £15 for PAYG. Use paper Travelcards on the twofer days.
May 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

I assume you mean an Oyster card each, Robes? Thanks.
May 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Yeah - they're not transferable (like a NYC Metro card).
May 7th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Or a Chicago el card. Thanks again.
May 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM

I'd just get 1 day travelcards for the Saturday & Sunday and use Oyster PAYG for the rest of the time.
May 8th, 2009, 03:59 AM
yk

Are you flying home from Gatwick or elsewhere? If you buy a roundtrip train ticket on Southern Railway to get to/from Gatwick, the roundtrip ticket will qualify you for the 2-for-1 for your entire time in London.
May 8th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Alan.

No, yk, we're taking the train from London to York to Edinburgh, flying from Edinburgh to Dublin and then home.