Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Here is my kids' teacher's version of "What not to Wear in Italy"

Feb 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Two of my high schoolers are going to Italy next month on a choir trip. Earlier this week there was a meeting for parents at which the choir dirctor spent a lot of time telling the parents (1) don't let your kids bring jeans...jeans are considered "work clothes" in Italy, and (2) don't wear tennis shoes...they scream "tourist."

Give me a major break. First, a group of 80 kids, out and about during school hours, getting on and off a bus, is going to scream TOURIST TEENS no matter what they wear. I wore stylish jeans in Italy and felt great in them. And I fear for their feet if they try to substitute different shoes instead of their tried and true shoes that they wear to school.

As far as I know, there is only one mom who is now not letting her daughters bring jeans.
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM

That does not exactly inspire my confidence about the travel experience of the organizer of this trip!
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Are they kidding! All the kids (and many many adults) wear jeans and tennis shoes in Italy. Where does this teacher get his/her information from? My DD spent 6 months in Italy--3 as a student at the University in Siena and fit right in with jeans and tennis shoes. (When I went to visit her I bought one of my favorite pairs of tennis shoes--pink--at a shop in Siena). WOW, what a bunch of misinformation!
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM

We were in Paris with a group of teens in November and they and the adults wore jeans or cords 99.9% of the time.

The only advice the french teacher gave us was don't wear those polyester "jogging suits" in awful colors or you will stick out. She also told us not to try to "out french" the french when it comes to fashion. Its the same in Italy... Don't even try to compete with those fashionistas. Go for comfort and don't worry about it!
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Hi missypie, that is the silliest and most uninformed advice imaginable.

For heavens sakes, a lot of people (Italians) in Italy even wear jeans and atheletic shoes when going to dinner, often with a blazer when it is chilly weather.

Jeans and atheletic shoes are worn all over Italy, even now by older women.

I will say during the hot summer weather jeans can be miserable to wear but your group is going to Italy in March. Pack jeans and the comfortable shoes for your teens.

BTW, when various Italians have come here to visit guess what they pack, lol.
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Walking the back streets (not touris areas) all over Italy and in Paris, we have seen shoe stores selling white sneakers.....that's for the locals.

Everyone wears jeans. Just don't wear sloppy jeans.
Feb 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Teachers in the U.S. need to start reading books about Europe that were written after WWII.
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:05 PM
LJ

What on earth does this person think Italian teens wear?
Feb 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM

I'm betting the choir director's going to be ordering spaghetti and meatballs for the group, too.
Feb 8th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Of course, I feel very sorry for the adult chaperones, because there is a "no alcohol" policy...Italy...no wine...I don't think I could do it (ESPECIALLY with 80 teenagers who have been wearing uncomfortable shoes all day!)

My kids are bringing their jeans and tennis shoes. They are well traveled. Their jeans are stylish. But, of coure, they will still look like tourists. I think the two motor coaches will give them away.

I'm anxious to see how many of the girls singe their hair off. I've tried to sprad the word that the Chi web site says (in red letters) "DO NOT try to use in Europe with a converter." My daughter has a flat iron that we bought in Spain. But her roommate is insisting on bringing her Chi because she has "a really good converter."
Feb 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Just came back from Italy in January and the teens were all wearing jeans and sneakers.
Feb 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Well obviously they will need something better (standard uniform) for their choir performances. But teens all over the world wear jeans and sneakers.

As for adults - people wear how they want. And other judge them as they want.
Feb 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM

We go to Rome often and my daughter, age 17 only wears jeans and can't wait to buy her diesel jeans in Italy. Jeans (and sneakers) are in everywhere - so the choir teacher is way out of touch.

But, of course, it is how they are worn...jeans, sneakers, great scarf, cool sunglasses, nice shirt...there's a cosmopolitan way to put all of these together and there is a way to wear jeans and sneakers and look like the "farmer who went to town."

Feb 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Agree that this trip coordinator doesn't really know what she's talking about when it comes to teens' attire. I just hope she doesn't send out the memo instructing 80 people to bring travelers' checks.
Feb 8th, 2008, 07:08 PM

The adults on the trip will not be able to order wine missypie? Oh dear, you couldn't pay me to go along on that trip. And what happens if the adults do order wine?? Will they be packed up and thrown on the next homeward bound plane? And then who will chaperone the kids (you know those teenage tourist kids in their jeans and sneakers)? And what happens if the adults buy bottles of wine and glug a lug in their hotel room at the end of the day (I would!). Oh missypie, I am laughing about this trip.
Feb 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Honestly , thank goodness your kids are well travelled as they may have to help this teacher out as she is obviously NOT!!
I would be concerned about any adult wasting time spouting such nonsense.

What I expected to see on this thread was that the teacher warned the girls to not wear belly baring tops, or spagetti strap tops, especially on days when touring of churches would be involved.Also of course the young girls need to realize the Italian boys will hit on them if they look too sexy, and will most likely hit on them anyways, hey they're Italian and teenage boys thats a hormone combination,,,LOL

Jeans are not the problem.
Feb 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM

80 teenagers and no wine.......count me out!!!!
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:19 AM

"I would be concerned about any adult wasting time spouting such nonsense."
Oh please what a ridiculous thing to say! So many of you are creating a monster out of this teacher who is devoting her free time to take care of 80 teenagers in Europe. She will be responsible for these kids 24 hours a day for a week or more. If any of the kids get sick or are injured it will be the teacher at the hospital dealing with the situation. It sounds to me that all this teacher wants is for the kids not to dress in a sloppy manner. There is nothing wrong with that. Yes, I do think that the jeans thing might be a bit much but Missypie, you should recognize the exceptional opportunity that your childrens' teacher is providing for them and thank her profusely. Stop looking for posters to bash this admirable adult. Also when the trip is over, a nice small gift as a gesture of your appreciation would be appropriate and a letter thank her cc to the principal and the spuerintendant of your school system.
Ok, the jean thing seems a bit much but I would be more concerned about a group of kids not following the instructions of the teacher even before they begin traveling in Europe. Think about that Missypie.
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:36 AM

I've seen tons of EUROPEAN students group tours in many years of traveling to Europe. THEY wear jeans and sneakers!!

I can see banning jeans and sneakers for their choir presentations, but for casual wear...!? are you kidding me...!?

By the way, how is he/she going to enforce this?e they going to make your kids take his/her jeans off? This is one when parents need to have a talk w/Director....
Feb 9th, 2008, 03:02 AM

Don't be too hard with the poor woman...she's clearly in a state of panic thinking about travelling with 80 teenagers !!
Sure the jeans thing it's nonsense...but believe me, I would be in a worst mood than her !

I understand the no alcohol issue ! If the chaperones drink too much..what do you think she's going to do ? That norm is obviously thinking on adults !! LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO