Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Here is a great magazine about France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/here-is-a-great-magazine-about-france-462638/)

yipper Jul 26th, 2004 03:57 PM

Here is a great magazine about France

Hi,
I just received my first issue of a magazine called ?France?. It is published in the UK 6 times a year. The price at Barnes & Nobles etc. is $5.95 an issue. The price to receive it at home is $29.00 for one year. The pictures and articles are wonderful and the paper quality is fabulous. There are some ads for houses for sale and rentals, but there is not a lot of advertising, mostly articles and pictures. This is a nice departure from other travel magazines. If you are interested go to Barnes and Nobles and look at it first. I also sent away for a magazine called ?Belle Italia?. I have not received a copy, so no report as to how good it is. Maybe I am the last person to know about these magazines, but I wanted to pass on the info.

cigalechanta Jul 26th, 2004 05:04 PM

yipper I am a subscriber of several years. It covers not the usual stuff and places. The letters are very informative. It's my favorite French travel in English, much better than the other France magazine.

Travelnut Jul 26th, 2004 05:26 PM

Thanks, yipper... I agree with you, it's a very nice publication. There was a thread a few weeks (months?) ago about favorite magazines, and that was one of them for quite a few people.

There is a nice one for Britain (same publisher?) called "Realm" if any Anglophiles want to check that one out.

ggnga Jul 27th, 2004 05:29 AM

Yes, I love it too. I just buy them a few times a year at the bookstore but did not pay attention to the subscrption rate. $29.00 a year, I will do it.

One of my favorite things to do when I travel is buy magazines in the UK and France. I have a backpack/rollaboard and the zipper compartment comfortably holds several magazines for my return trip. I love to read the magazines when I am back at the room in bed. At home I keep them in my guest bedroom and my guests enjoy them too.

SuzieC Jul 27th, 2004 05:54 AM

My latest is in my purse as I write...saving it for my lunchtime ... just to daydream about! Isn't it a great mag?

jmw44 Jul 28th, 2004 05:08 AM

What a great thread! I'm thinking that this would make a good Christmas gift! Now what about Italy? Has anyone seen the Bella Italia that yipper mentions? Or another recommendation? Thanks. J.

Michel_Paris Jul 28th, 2004 05:31 AM

Bella Italia is great. Superb photograpy, articles on towns and museums I had never heard of,life in Italy articles, high quality paper, definitely a good buy and read.

grandmere Jul 28th, 2004 05:54 AM

Do I have to buy a copy of this magazine at B and N to find a way to subscribe to it? It sounds very good; the other France magazine is getting to be kind of disappointing, IMO.

jmw44 Jul 28th, 2004 05:56 AM

Michael,Oh my goodness, really? If so, then this thread has solved two (2!!) of my Christmas present purchases. I've never in my whole life been this far ahead! France for one, Bella Italia for the other. Thanks! J.

liesel Jul 28th, 2004 06:47 AM

Does anyone know of a great magazine for Germany or switzerland? Thanks!

cigalechanta Jul 28th, 2004 08:42 AM

I subscribe to it. But I think I've seen it at a few newstands.
Yes, I agree, grandmere, the other France (that was once free) is more fluff.

Michel_Paris Jul 28th, 2004 08:55 AM

Note that I have seen Bella Italia in both Italian and English at my local bookstore...in case you just grab and run home with it :)

LoriNY Jul 28th, 2004 09:23 AM

I found two websites:

www.francemag.com
www.francemagazine.com

Which is the one you are talking about. Looks like you can subscribe on line.

ira Jul 28th, 2004 09:23 AM

Is there a website for subscribing to "France"?

The one I found wants 80GBP per year for a subscription.

cigalechanta Jul 28th, 2004 09:38 AM

It's the British one at
www.francemag.com
The July issue has 59 favorite French villages, Nothern Corsica, Mad about Macon, George Sand, Colliure.
I subscribe at
France
PO Box 218
Landisburg Pa. 17040-9989
Using an attached card inside the magazine, is a 6mon subscription for 29.95

cigalechanta Jul 28th, 2004 09:58 AM

-----------------------------------------this is the August issue that hasn't arrived yet---------------------------------------

The Gorgeous Gorges
France's Grand Canyon is filled with spectacular sights and arresting villages. ANNE AGER found it simply awesome

Discovering the Quieter Châteaux
PHILIP FAIERS pushes back the doors of time in the drowsy backwaters of the lower Loire Valley

Tricolour and Tartan
Tucked away in the Cher lies a little bit of Scotland with an illustrious history-JOHN STEPHENSON traces the Stuart roots of Aubigny-sur-Nère

Keepers of the Castle
RÉGINE GODFREY meets four young members of the oldest historical trail in France-the Route Jacques Coeur-all based in Paris and passionate about their châteaux in the heart of France, but is weekend ownership a trial or a tribulation?

Storm in a Wine Glass
Radical reforms are afoot for winemakers, and feelings are running high explains LOUISE TAYLOR

Shorts and Good Sports
Watching Le Tour in the mountains is not only a fantastic sports experience but also a terrific way to see the French character on display, as CHRIS RICHARDSON discovered

Cutting Through The Sales Red Tape
When it comes to selling a property, advice can be harder to find than when buying-here RITA MORICE offers, from her own experience, a guide to cutting down the sales stress

SUBSCRIBE TODAY - FRANCE Magazine

Save pounds and receive a free French

ira Jul 28th, 2004 10:30 AM

>Using an attached card inside the magazine, is a 6mon subscription for 29.95<

That explains it. Subscribing on line for a US address is 80GBP/yr.

jlm_mi Jul 28th, 2004 12:44 PM

www.francemag.com does list the 80GBP/year price, but it also indicates this is for 12 issues. Are you sure this is the same magazine?

cigalechanta Jul 28th, 2004 02:24 PM

I'd be glad to send the insert and will look for another if anyone wants them I'm at hotmail.

usbeauty Jul 28th, 2004 03:28 PM

I subscribed last year through Amazon.com. I believe it was also $29.95 for 6 issues.