Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Here are specific addresses for 2 apts. in Paris. Advice please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting this new from a conversation on a previous thread since I was taking it in another direction.

Here are the 2 apts. I'm considering

1) www.rentparis.com/appart-en-30.html

This apt. is on the rear (quiet side of Rue Rambuteau), and a one minute walk to the Beaubourg Center (modern art museum). It must be within or very close to the pedestrian zone, so that's very appealing!

2)www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_125.htm

It looks to be just off of the east end of the Louvre. The steets nearby do look like large boulevards.

I guess getting out the detailed map helps, but any opinions of these specific areas are appreciated. I think I like #2 apt. better, but #1 location better. Thanks for any help!

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:40 AM
ira

Hi A,

The one at 29 rue Rambuteau is very near the Pompidou and a metro stop.

The one on rue Saint Honoré is within a couple of blocks from a metro.

Both locations are fine.

No. 1 is on the 3rd floor, no 2 on the first. This is important to me, as neither have an elevator.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Both look great - but I agree w/ ira. 3rd (US 4th) floor walk up is about my limit. My last flat in Paris was on the 3rd floor and days I came back to the flat and went out again got to be a little old. A few years ago I had a 5th (US 6th) floor flat and it didn't phase me at all. But as I get older . . . . .

Just depends on whether the extra stairs would bother you.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:58 AM

bookmarking
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 01:31 PM
L4C

We are staying at #2 in January. That's all I got!

L.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Between Palias Royale metro and Les Halles, I'd chose Palais Royale. I hate Les Halles-Chatelet metro station.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM

bookmarking
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

L4C, please let us know how you like it. We stayed in a hotel near the opera on our last trip. Too much time taking metro with transfers. But anyways, it was 2nd floor with elevator, and I usually didn't bother with the elevator at all, so I don't think that the 3rd floor location would bother me.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM

I too will be curious to see how you like it L4C so please let us know!!!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

For those of you who have rented from RentParis, how do you find the terms and conditions of the agreement? I don't see them on the website, and when I emailed I got a "form" reply that info could be found on the website.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM

The terms and conditions are displayed when you click &quot;<u>general sales terms and conditions</u>&quot; on the Conditions-reservations page . . . . .
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Now I see... Thank you Janis!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Janisj, have you used them? It says we must call from the airport in order to be met at the apt. I suppose that means negotiating with a payphone that I'm not familiar with. I had a nightmare at the train station in Milan trying to figure out a payphone with a phone card.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM

No - I haven't used them.

As for the phone call from CDG - that is the way every flat I've rented in Paris has handled it. Others may just meet at a pre-set time, but I've always had to call.

You can buy a phone card at CDG and use it to make your phone call. You'll probably need one during your stay anyway so that is as good a time as any to buy one.

I will say, my last visit I bought my card and had difficulty getting it to work. A lady at the info desk tried to get it to work but had trouble too. Turns out it was the wrong type of card and after a bit of kerfuffle the shop exchanged the card for the right sort.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:16 PM

that's interesting because I think I like the first one better in itself, but the location more of the one near the Louvre. Maybe not, I don't usually like to be that close to anything major, and they are both close to major museums, so maybe it wouldn't matter.

I guess they are about the same size, and if you are alone it doesn't matter -- but the bed appears larger in the first one. In fact, it looks even smaller than a regular double bed in the second one, but I know they are using distorted lenses so maybe not. I'd ask both the exact size of those beds if there are two of you. The queensize one must be at least regular double size probably, but the other one looks small.

When are you going -- I think one says AC and one does not, is that any issue? One is sort of funny that it combines AC with a fan as the same checked item, as if they are the same thing.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj and hi Christina. We are traveling next August with our two teenage daughters. On the map I'm looking at in one of our travel books, it looks like the Rue St. Honore is one of those huge blvds, whereas the other is not quite so busy. Stairs not a problem, but I also wonder about the heat - I know the avg. temps are not considered high, but if there's a heat wave, we could be quite warm. I'm asking about these neighborhoods because the 1st never seems to come up as anyone's favorite and I don't read about it much, whereas the 4th... there's lots of interest there. With our apt. we would love to be able to walk out and have a lot within walking distance. I don't think we entered into the Marais on our last short trip, however we spent an afternoon exploring the St-Germain neighborhood and really enjoyed that, with its little pedestrian alleyways and shops. That's the type of surrounding we'd like.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Hi, Arewethereyet --

We rented from RentParis last March and had a great experience. Fabrice, the owner, was extremely responsive and very sweet.

Our apartment, a studio in the Marais, was tiny but perfect for what we needed. And we LOVED being in the Marais.

We bought a cheap (5 Euro) phone card at CDG after we arrived and called him from the airport. Because I only speak about 10 words of French, we had to ask for help at the tourist information desk, and one of the kind employees helped us dial since the phonecard prompts were super fast and unintelligible to moi.

We met him without a hitch at the agreed-upon time.

Have a great time and let us know about your trip when you return!

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM

hmmm, well that makes it tough as being in August I would want one with AC (did I read them right, that one doesn't have it?), but then you'd kick yourself if you chose the one you didn't like as well and it wasn't even that hot.

Rue St Honore is a major street but it's not a super big boulevard like some. Still, it may be noisier for that reason, but I'm not sure it's really that different at that location than the other one. Neither are really cozy neighborhood-y places and don't have much greenery around.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will! Are you familiar with the type of neighborhood I was describing in St. Germain de pres (sp?). Is this what the Marais is like?
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Nanbug--
What apartment did you rent when you rented from rentparis?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -