Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   henri iv rive gauche vs. hotel de lutece -looking for help in deciding on which Paris hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/henri-iv-rive-gauche-vs-hotel-de-lutece-looking-for-help-in-deciding-on-which-paris-hotel-570327/)

nevertooold Nov 11th, 2005 10:19 AM

henri iv rive gauche vs. hotel de lutece -looking for help in deciding on which Paris hotel

We (3 people, myself, my wife and our 17 year old daughter) are spending 4 nites in the Relais Bosquet apartment next July, and are considering a different location for our last 3 nights.

Both the Henri iv Rive Gauche and the Lutece appear to be comparably priced and well received on the web-sites, although Henri is now in the mid-20's on trip advisor and Lutece is in the mid -90's.

We are looking for any advice or recommendations so as to assist us in finally making our choice.

Many thanks.

Robdaddy Nov 11th, 2005 11:52 AM

Hi,

Just curious...why do you want to change lodgings in the middle of your visit? Unless there's some compelling reason to do so, why pack everything up, shlep across town, unpack, then pack back up just a few days later?

I'm not saying don't do it; just saying I don't get it.

francophile03 Nov 11th, 2005 12:07 PM

I have been trying out two different locations and hotels myself for a few years now so I can understand. The two hotels mentioned are owned by the same person. Personally I loved staying at the Hotel de Lutece which is located on the Ile St. Louis. While the Hotel Henri IV has a nice location, I favored the Lutece's location more. The Lutece's decor is not as modern as the Hotel Henri IV's. But my room was very clean, comfortable, and the bathroom was roomy. The staff was very helpful and friendly too. I guess the higher rating for the Hotel Henri IV can be attributed to its getting more positive reviews over a shorter time since it was opened just a one or two years ago while the Lutece has been around for a much longer time.

nevertooold Nov 11th, 2005 12:08 PM

We were only able to arrange to have the apartment for 4 nights.

There is an alternative in that the Relais Bosquet does have a triple room available for the 3 other nights,which would require us to pack up and move anyways (albeit a much shorter distance and shlep) but I was thinking that it might somehow be advantageous to re-locate to an entirely different, and obviously popular area.

Any thoughts?

Christina Nov 11th, 2005 01:47 PM

I've changed hotels in the middle of a stay, also -- just for fun, to try different neighborhoods. As long as you have to move anyway, I'd say, why not. I don't think there's a lot of risk if you research the hotels pretty well, how bad can they be. I haven't stayed in either, though, so can't really say. Since it will be July, I'd pick one with AC -- if there is no difference, I'd probably go with staying on the island, but I think you'd enjoy either spot.

francophile03 Nov 11th, 2005 02:24 PM

Both hotels have a/c. I recommend getting a hotel with a/c also.

Scarlett Nov 11th, 2005 02:43 PM

The Lutece has a/c.
Their rooms are tiny so I cannot think you would all fit in one room. But we loved staying there .

CatFancier Nov 11th, 2005 02:49 PM

We stayed at the Henri IV Rive Gauche for 8 nights in early September and loved it! The area is right in the middle of everything and great for walking. Your 17-yr-old would probably really like it. You're just a block or so from the Seine, then a few more steps across the Petit Pont and you're standing in front of Notre Dame. Plenty of places to eat everywhere.

Being almost new, the hotel is spotless and nicely decorated. Staff is great too.

September was pretty warm, so we appreciated the AC. The rest of the hotel seemed liked they didn't have it on, but it was nice and cool in our room.

francophile03 Nov 11th, 2005 07:02 PM

My husband and I occupied a triple room at the Lutece's 5th floor. I'd requested a large double room way before arriving and the reception clerk said they'd do what they can. I was very happy with that room. There is a single bed located on the other side of the room for the third person so the three of you can fit comfortably. One thing I remember fondly is opening the windows and hearing Notre Dame's bells.

nevertooold Nov 12th, 2005 04:12 AM

topping up

tower Nov 12th, 2005 06:17 AM

Been recommending the Lutece and it's twin, Deux Iles (two doors away) for many years...everyine who has stayed there based on our recommendations has returned at least once...Ile St. Louis is ideal in many ways..almost like living in a spearate village, with easy access to both right and left banks...enjoy.
Stu

sandi_travelnut Nov 12th, 2005 06:41 AM

My husband, self and our 17 yr old had a triple at Henri IV in Dec '04 for 4 nights. It was extremely spacious. When you walked into the room there was a daybed/single bed on your right. You then walked up a couple of steps to the regular room with the large bed, desk 2 closets and full bath. There was also a closet down by the single bed. The even nicer part was that there was a screen that you could pull across to seperate yourself from your kid for your privacy and theirs. We loved the room, and as far as triples go and the space and comfort, nothing has come close.

Also, the hotel is about a block from the seine and notre dame which is also hard to beat. IMO.