Helsinki Hotels and Restaurants?

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helsinki Hotels and Restaurants?

We are planning a 4 night/3 day stopover in Helsinki in June and would appreciate any suggestions for a hotel in the $100-125/night range. Clean and convenient is good...breakfast would be a real plus.
Also need recommendations for moderate priced restaurants.

Many thanks to all who have helped in the
past and to those who help now.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:54 PM

I stayed at this hotel in June 2002.

www.lordhotel.fi

The medieval looking part has the public rooms, restaurant, banquet rooms, etc. The hotel rooms are behind it in a modern annex. The room was decently sized, modern and comfortable.

It was short walk over to the harbor and shopping area. I paid about 80 USD a night then. It came with a very good breakfast.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 01:55 AM

I stayed in a Radisson SAS by the station which was a brand new conversion of an old building - very central, very smart with huge rooms, and an easy walk to wherever you may wish to go. I was very happy with my choice.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:38 AM

Because hotels in Helsinki are mainly built for business people, the prices are always higher during weekdays/winter. Summer and weekend prices are about 30 % less. In June it is easy to find a decent hotel with even less than 100 dollars. Breakfast buffé is normally included.

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:25 AM

When we stopped in Helsinki on the way to Tallinn last year we very much enjoyed an evening meal at Lasipalatsi (Crystal Palace) restaurant, thanks to a recommendation from Finnish Fodorite Minna.

The restaurant is upstairs in a small shopping complex and has large windows looking out onto the main street. It's a couple of minutes walk from the central station. We asked for a table by the window.

Food is well priced and good and allows one to opt for local specialities or more international cuisine according to preference.

Kavey
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 05:00 AM

You could also check out "Hotel Helka". Reasonably priced considering how central it is - just a couple of minutes walk from the train station.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:10 AM

Kappeli was a pretty spot for good dinner. I wasn't paying, but I would expect it was toward the expensive side in the restaurant section.

www.ravintolakappeli.com/english/index.php
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Yes, Radisson is a good place and does have a great breakfast smorgasbord. We were there in late July. As for restaurants we enjoyed the Elite which is a short walk away, also Kappellis which Rick Steve's likes on the Esplanade and there are others.
Bill in Missouri