Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Want to hire car with debit card any ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2016, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe I left my credit card at home and only brought a debit card. Feeling sick as I promised my son some time away in the country by car. Been searching for ages on net for car rental with debit card and can only see they accept credit cards. Any suggestions? Does anyone know of a company that accepts debit card in Amsterdam?
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 02:05 AM

Does your debit card have a Visa or MAstercard logo? If yes then Sixt does. As does Avis and other big boys. You may have to leave a deposit but you can definitely use a debit card.

Book it online and just show up like normal.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Yes it does have the logo, but on their t & c it stated adamantly no debit cards..and it clearly has on card DEBIT . I don't want to show up and be turned back... I'll can ring them when my son gets back with his local phone. Do you know if they'll turn you away? So undecided.. But thanks so much for giving me hope...
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 02:37 AM

I have rented numerous cars in Europe and US with a debit card. It has never been an issue.

Looks like I misspoke on Sixt. Looks like Avis is the way to go anyway because they are cheaper.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Looking at budget cos they are in the city and I don't want to go all the way to the airport... will look at Avis locations as well. Why do they write only credit cards, has anyone ever questioned you? Does your card have DEBIT on the front as well as the visa sign?
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 02:50 AM

It does have debit written on it and they have never ever given me grief about it. In fact, I used it last month in Germany.

Disclaimer: I have not rented a car in Amsterdam but Sixt said no debit card and Avis didn't say anything one way or the other.

Good luck!
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Sheesh, I'm an idiot and really beating myself up over this. On the Amsterdam Avis site it does state no debit... I'm unsure whether to actually go to their office tomorrow and ask but that might be worse.... Hitting self over head repeatedly!! Thanks for helping me, really appreciate the contact...
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 03:30 AM

Have you tried calling them?
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Not yet I need to wait for my son as I don't have a phone here.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 05:09 AM

I don't know if they have a website in English but KAV.nl hire cars with a deposit paid in cash or using a debit card (if it has a chip on it). If you go to their website and click on contact vestigingen you will find a list of their location and phone numbers.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 05:10 AM

I susppect more companies do the same, since many Dutch don't have a credit card, but KAV say on their website that the security deposit can be paid in cash.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 05:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Aren't there places you could get to by train -- and then maybe rent bikes?

I would not rent w/ a debit card -- first of all it probably would not cover the insurance. But mainly -- if there is a problem your entire bank account could be in jeopardy . . .
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 05:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oops I didn't mean 'probably' re the insurance -- Meant >>depending on your bank, insurance might not be covered.<<

Plus you'd likely have to place a huge deposit hold.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Hetismij I've looked at their locations and they are miles out of town...

Can anyone suggest a good town to get to by train with pretty countryside? Grrr, so cross with myself. I've even booked a bed and breakfast which I can cancel but needs to be done before midnight Thursday. My son has already done Utrecht and surrounds. What about Delft? Pretty surrounding scenery? Help!
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 10:25 AM

Where are you now?
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam....
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 10:43 AM

You really need to call the agencies and make sure before you give up. (And you should travel with a cell phone, but that's another conversation )
Good luck!
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 10:54 AM

Klokkenbergweg is easy to get to by metro, it is about a 15 minute walk from Bullewijk station.

If you want countryside why go to Delft? It is a city. If you are up to bike riding there is plenty of countryside close to Amsterdam you can get to. If you want to walk then you can find walks from station to station through countryside.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 11:51 AM

Buses get everywhere. check 9292.nl

if you want to hit the beach, you can do that by train, or by train, then bus to a place like katwijk.

or spend a day in Utrecht, 20 minutes by train from amsterdam. they've got a cool railway museum.

or a bit further afield, a visit to the zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen, with perhaps a sailing ferry return trip to the former island of urk.

all very possible without hiring a car.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

UPDATE: went in person this morning to the Avis/budget office in town and asked chap about card. He said there was no issue using my Citibank Visa debit card! Booked my car and all is organised..phew. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -