Help with Visiting Daughter in Florence

Jan 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Help with Visiting Daughter in Florence

My daughter will be studying in Florence from the end of May until the end of June. My husband and I want to visit her and see some of Italy. He can only take off from June 6 to June 16. I have enough Delta skymiles to book the trip. I can get us there with nonstop flights in and out of Rome. If I want to go in or out of any other city I will need to use one of their partners, but I should still get to use the skymiles. My first question is, should we fly in or out of Rome and see Rome for a few days at the beginning or end of our trip? Also besides Florence which we will obviously see, what else should we do? My husband is a civil engineer and feels that he must see Pisa which I know that we will do, but what else? And do we travel from place to place by car or train? My daughter will have the weekends off so the last weekend we are there, we will probably want to do something outside of Florence with her. Suggestions please.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Fly into Rome. Take the train directly to Florence and visit your daughter. (Take the express train (30 mins) to Roma Termini station where you can connect to a train to Florence (1.5 hrs).

Do a daytrip from Florence to Pisa--easily done by train. Or rent a car for just the weekend and visit a few hilltowns plus Pisa with your daughter.

Save Rome, 4-5 days, for the end of your trip, since you must return there. If you don't visit hilltowns from Florence, you might take a daytrip from Rome to Orvieto, easily done by train (1 hr away).
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Before you go, have your husband read "Brunelleschi's Dome", about the building of the dome on Florence's Duomo. That should interest him a lot. Then if he's physically fit, he can climb up into the dome and see the construction for himself. Do the same at St. Peter's.

And of course, the whole aqueduct system that was built to bring water into the city of Rome should interest him.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
ira

Hi J,

>My husband is a civil engineer and feels that he must see Pisa ...

I am also an engineer.

Please pass this on to your husband:

Are you planning on redesigning the building?

May I suggest that given all of the wonderful art and architecture in Venice, Florence and Rome, Pisa is very low on the list of must sees?

Back to your questions:

If you can use FF miles to fly into Venice and out of Rome, I would do that.

Venice - 2 nights, train to Florence - 3 nights, train to Rome - 4 nights, fly home.

Orvieto is a nice hill town experience - 1 hr by train from Rome.

Train schedules are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Enjoy your visit.

Jan 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM

I would limit your stops to Florence with the day trip to you want to take to Pisa plus Rome. IMO that is enough in 10 days without trying to add Venice
Trains between Florence and Rome are frequent. I would not want a car in either city and Pisa is easy to reach by train from Florence

I definitely agree with the recommendation to read Brunelleschi's Dome and to climb to the top of the dome. (Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King is also very good for Rome--Sistine Chapel and Raphael rooms)

An easy way to visit some of the major aqueducts leading into Rome is to take the tourist office hop on/hop off archeobus which goes out to the catacombs and Appian way then over to the aqueducts on viale appio Claudio. The bus gets somewhat mixed reviews on this forum but worked well for us in March 2007
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
MKE

Assuming that the 6th and 16th are travel days, you will actually have only 9 days in-country.

To save on backtracking, I would suggest flying into Rome, spending three days in Rome, then taking the train to Florence. Spend either three or 4 days in Florence, including one day for a day trip via train to Pisa. For your remaining two or three days, take the train to Venice. Fly home from Venice.
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Delta now has flights 4 times weekly into Pisa via JFK. I would try for those, but Delta FF tickets are really tough--start there.
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Venice is heaven on earth! I highly recommend the gondola ride down the Grand Canal.

Search this Thread