Help with Vienna's 3rd district

Oct 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Help with Vienna's 3rd district

Has anyone stayed in Vienna's third district? If so, what streets? We found an apartment near radetzkyplatz (I think this is a street). Does anyone have any tips on whether or not this area is safe, nice, quiet, etc? Thanks for the help!
Oct 16th, 2007, 10:40 PM

Depends where the apartment is- Radetskyplatz is a busy city square.
Radetskystrasse is a street leading to the square.
This area has a vwery busy elevated rail line running past it with various passenger lines - at least 4 or 5 using it.
strassenbahn - tram lines run through this square also.
Perhaps best feature is being
convenient to public transport and not too far from the First District.
Safe- yes
nice -no
quiet - no

It is not an ideal neighborhood .
Oct 17th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Molker,

Well it wasn't the info I wanted to hear, but THANK YOU for being so honest and for letting me know. Do you know anything about living near Mariahilferstraße? Which district is this in? Thanks again for the help.
Oct 17th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Molker,

Sorry to pick your brain again, but what about the 19th district on Zahnradbahnstraße? I've heard that this area is more suburban and about a 15 minute tram ride into the inner city. Nice, quiet, stuff to do? Any thoughts? Thanks again for all the help!
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM

The streetcar line " D " runs on this street- mix of bussiness and apartment buildings. The street is busy but becomes quiet later in the evening.The location is in the village of Nussdorf.- about 20 minutes by the " D2 to the Ringstrasse. not the suburbs but a good area. Several markets and shops not far away.
Good restaurants and wine taverns too.
you can walk in a few minutes toward the vineyards and find it very quiet and nice.
Oct 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Molker,

Thanks for responding. It sounds nice enough to me. We want some action around us so we can go out to eat, do some grocery shopping, take walks, etc. so I think it sounds good. It's a decent price as well which is always a plus! I pretty much didn't want to hear that the district was a dump and there was nothing to do around there so you've settled it. Thanks again!
Oct 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM
LN

If you are still wondering about Mariahilferstrasse I'd hate to disappoint you but it's actually quite a shopping thoroughfare. Chances are it would be fairly noisy there.