My wife and I (architect and designer respectively) are putting some finishing touches on our upcoming trip to the UK (and Ireland - depending on your point of view) in June 2012. We have learned to slow down a little, so we are only planning Edinburgh (3 nights), Glasgow (3 nights), Dublin (4 nights), and London (4 nights) over the course of two weeks or so.
Unfortunately, due to airline frequent flier programs, we arrive from the US at 21:55 on June 2nd into Heathrow - so no overnight train to Edinburgh. We are planning to train into London and stay near King's Cross station overnight and then train to Edinburgh the next morning. We have considered staying to view the Queen's Diamond Jubilee festivities but decided that the crowds, bank holiday, and other closings, etc. will just be too much. We have resigned ourselves to the cost of traveling into the city and staying overnight by accepting that the train ride will offer some view of the English and Scottish countryside along the way.
A few questions remain that would help us with final preparations.
1) Is there a simpler or better way to travel to Edinburgh given our time of arrival on a Saturday night?
2) We are considering a day tour out of Dublin to Wicklow area - any recommendations here or others?
3) We are planning a day trip to Stonehenge out of London. Any recommendations here?
4) Pubs, restaurants, places of special interest in any of these cities are also welcome.
Your advice is always great food for thought, so any help is appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which Area in London?
- 2 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 3 Milan airport--which one
- 4 Trains - website?
- 5 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 6 two days in Nice
- 7 Visit to France
- 8 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 9 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 10 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 11 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 12 Barcelona to Malaga
- 13 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 14 First time in Spain
- 15 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 16 Paris Apartment
- 17 New fast track
- 18 Packing Champagne
- 19 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 20 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 21 Itinerary Help, Please!!!
- 22 Once upon a time in Italy
- 23 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 24 Private Driver in Malaga Spain
- 25 Christmas in Granada....food!