Help with trip to Italy and Spain

Mar 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Help with trip to Italy and Spain

Hello all! I am planning a trip to Italy and Spain and I need your advice! My husband and I are in their early 30s and will spend May 10-27 on our honeymoon (we were married back in Nov.) We are down-to-earth, love good food and wine, and ultimately want to take in the culture without being "too touristy."

Our itinerary will be something like this:

Fly into Madrid - spend 3 days
Coronada/Granada - 2 days
Barcelona - 3 days

Florence - 3 days
Tuscany/Sienna region - 2 days
Rome - 3 days - fly out

We would appreciate suggestions on cheap hotels, or nicer hostels, eurorail transportation, and can't miss sights in each area... (i.e. museums, churches, vineyards, monuments, restaurants..etc..) Of course there are some obvious one, but I would love personal takes on your experiences.

Thank you so much!!
Mar 14th, 2007, 10:17 AM

For info on 'eurorail' transportation i recommend going to www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com, the latter to get the free European Planning & Rail Guide that is an excellent primer on 'eurorail' travel - using trains, passes, etc. That said i think you should fly from Barcelona to Rome or Italy as you are on short time - in which case i think point-point tickets bought in Europe would be the best. Or for online-only discounts bought, for Italy, at www.trenitalia.com; check www.renfe.es, Spanish Rail site for Spain schedules and prices.
Mar 14th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Assuming you don;t have extra days for travel that you have't listed you're trying to cover way too much territoty in a very short time.

Suggest you

1)look at a map and determine distances between places (and do you mean Cordoba and Granada? and is there some reason for leaving out Seville - probably the most interesting?)

2)go to one of the rail sites - I like bahn.de best - to have a look at train schedules - how long trips take and how often trains run (Barcelona to Florence takes more than 20 hours by train)

3) have some idea of what you want to do in each place and how long it will take

Really - you have time to do either Spain or Italy BRIEFLY - not in depth. The trip you have mapped out is simply not possible in some places (from Madrid to Barcelona via Cordoba and Granda in 3 days) - and even if you could it would mean spending about 80% of your time either on a train, in a train station or finding and checking in and out of hotels.

If you really want to see parts of more than one country - for instance Barcelona, florence and Tuscany you would need to look at low cost flights between the two countries.

For your time (actually 15 days on the ground) I would do 3 or at most 4 cities - and they should be no more than 3/4 hours apart - not 20+).
Mar 14th, 2007, 10:31 AM

I reccomend you one romantic restaurant in Madrid:
Restaurante Teatriz at calle Hermosilla, 15
Mar 14th, 2007, 10:36 AM

nicolefla,

You don't specify budget for your hotels. Hotel Europa in Madrid, in Puerta del Sol, is within walking distance to major sites. Price is about 80 euros/night. Nice, clean property.
http://www.hoteleuropa.es/

Hotel Bauza is in the 140-160 E range, very nice, modern, more high end, in the Salamanca neighborhood, close to El Retiro park, Royal Palace, museums.
http://www.designhotels.com/hotels/e...PHPSESSID=710b...

If you're looking for a hostal, I've stayed at Victoria I (40 E/night) also in Sol and that was great, decent size room, very clean, remodeled bathroom, and good service, room even had a little balcony overlooking "El Oso y el madroño" statue in Sol.
www.hostal-victoria.com

Right there you have too El Corte Inglés on Calle Preciados that has a supermarket, gourmet market, post office, music, books, pharmacy and many more.

Good luck!
Mar 21st, 2007, 08:54 PM

You should try this website for flights from Barcelona to Rome.

http://www.iberia.com

There are flights at that time that are $100 USD one way.

Bart

Search this Thread