Search

Help with transportation Florence -Assisi-Montalcino

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2019, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with transportation Florence -Assisi-Montalcino

Hello!
I am planning our family trip during the upcoming Easter week and need help from the experts out there. We are fairly well traveled by train throughout Italy in the summer months, but this is our first time visiting over Easter holiday and I do not know what traffic, crowds, etc. to expect. I am considering options for transfers from Florence to Assisi to Montalcino. WE will be staying in Assisi and Montalcino both for 2 nights. Here are our options:
1. Rent a car in Florence and drive on Easter Monday to Assisi for 2 nights, drive to Montalcino (2 nights) and then return the car to Florence. I am very concerned about the traffic on this day!
2. Train from Florence to Assisi. Stay 2 nights and then rent a car in Foligno and drive to Montalcino, returning the car to Florence.
3. Train to Assisi and hire a private driver for transfers from Assisi to Montalcino and Montalcino to Florence.

We are a family of 6 and my husband is good at driving a manual car if necessary. Any thoughts, opinions, or advice would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Amy
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Questions and thoughts:

A family of six will require quite a large vehicle... not one I would enjoy having to park in Assisi on a holiday (Easter Monday). Does your Assisi lodging have parking?

Are you spending time in Florence before Assisi, or are you starting from the airport? If you're spending time in Florence, you would probably need to return to the airport to rent the car (Easter Monday). If you're flying into Florence on Monday and didn't rent the car on arrival, you'd have to travel into Florence to catch the train to Assisi. These otherwise simple rides become more somewhat complicated with six people and luggage.

Are you driving back to Florence on the same day as your departing flight? If so, what time is the flight?

I don't know which of your options I'd choose. Multiple short stays are not my preference, so I'd probably go to Assisi or Montalcino but not both.