Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with train from Glasgow to London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-train-from-glasgow-to-london-776768/)

Kaneohe Apr 2nd, 2009 10:59 PM

Help with train from Glasgow to London

I'm so confused--have spent over an hour trying to figure out the train system for traveling from Glasgow to London.

Here's what I'd like to do:
Travel from Glasgow (any station) to London (any station) via train on 4 May, departing between 9:00 and 11:00 AM. If possible, I prefer no changing of trains (I'll have luggage) but suspect that changing in Edinburgh is unavoidable. I prefer minimal stops. I've read that there is some beautiful scenery on this journey and need a recommendation on how to select a seat. I'd also like to treat myself to a first class ticket. Does a first class ticket include complementary meal service? drinks?

Thanks in advance.

flanneruk Apr 2nd, 2009 11:46 PM

Go to www.nationalrail.co.uk It'll take you 0.1 seconds to get an answer on schedules: trains are direct and at least hourly, though you CAN change at Edinburgh and that MIGHT save you money. If it's taken you an hour and you've failed to find out what you want, you're doing something stupidly wrong - or asking us the wrong question.

Scenery's OK in parts. You can't really choose seats, and there's no real reason for wanting to: the windows are big enough that there's no real difference between the view anywhere in a carriage. Virgin - the main direct operator -lets you make some general decisions (like whether you want to be in a quiet zone) - all explained on the booking page

First class on Virgin just offers free tea and coffee. The point is space.

chartley Apr 2nd, 2009 11:57 PM

Like Flanner, I thought this would be easy. And on most days it would be. However, May 4th is a bank holiday and there is extensive engineering work being done on the West Coast Main line at various places that weekend. If you try to book a journey using the National Rail website, or the Virgin Trains website, you are offered journeys via Edinburgh on National Express East Coast. The 09.50 train does not require you to change, while other journeys require a change at Edinburgh. These trains all terminate in London at Kings Cross, rather than Euston which is used by the Virgin trains.

PatrickLondon Apr 3rd, 2009 03:24 AM

One consolation: the scenery probably is a bit better on he East Coast line from Edinburgh.

TheBigMan Apr 3rd, 2009 04:06 AM

<One consolation: the scenery probably is a bit better on he East Coast line from Edinburgh>

I've never understood this opinion and I've seen it on here before. The west coast line from Glasgow to London travels through the Southern Uplands and part of the Lake District, both areas of great beauty before it hits the more normal featureless English countryside from Preston to the south.

On the East Coast line you get to see a bit of the grey North Sea, hardly mesmerising, then it's mostly flat and dull all the way to London.

Incidentally this is not a criticism of England - I think that, on the whole, many of the towns and villages are far superior to their Scottish counterparts which are built for the weather, not architectural quality. The scenery is a different matter, but then maybe I'm spoiled with what's on my doorstep and I only live 10 miles outside Glasgow.

Cholmondley_Warner Apr 3rd, 2009 05:19 AM

It's your money and all that, but I don't know anyone who pays for a first class ticket out of their own money. There really isn't that much difference and it's a lot of loot.

rogeruktm Apr 4th, 2009 06:57 AM

1st class will much nicer than standard class. You will get free coffee or tea. Some, like Virgin might provide a free snack, otherwise, you order meals, that you pay for, that will be served at your seat. The only problem as I see it is you will not be able to meet Cholmondley as he will be in standard.