Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with train fares/times from London to Canterbury

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out, but I am having difficulty with this one. I am looking to find out the least expensive train times/fares to plan a day trip from London to Canterbury on a Tuesday this coming February. I have been working with the National Rail website and I can't figure out the cheapest fare. Can it be 45 pounds per person each way? If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it! Thanks! Susan
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:24 AM

The national rail website shows day return fares of £16.50 or £16.70. That covers a round trip returning the same day. An Awaybreak, allowing you to return within five days, is £18.80. These tickets do not restrict you to travelling on a specific train and can be bought at the station before you get on the train.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Does the fare increase or decrease depending on the time of day that I travel? In short, are there higher peak time travel rates? If so, I can try and avoid them and get the price lower. There are 4 of us traveling (2 adults and 2 kids, 13 and 16) so the tickets add up quickly!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:45 AM

I agree with Mr Hamer, and add that you have a choice of route, Charing Cross, Ashford, Canterbury or Victoria, Rochester, Canterbury. Each takes something under two hours. The Victoria to Rochester route is the more interesting. You see the castle and cathedral and fine Edwardian county bridge at Rochester, the hop fields and orchards of the garden of England, and if you are lucky, 7 minutes before you reach Canterbury, a glimpse of the cathedral riding above the small city.

In Canterbury less-known pleasures are the window that three churches funded to Sir Thomas More in the church that has his head and the book-memorial to twentieth century martyrs in the easternmost chapel of the cathedral.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to England.

[email protected]
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:55 AM

For a day trip from London to Canterbury, there is little difference in fares at different times of the day, because you are travelling in the opposite direction to most commuters. The cheap day return fare, available after the morning rush hour, is 20p less than a day return available to go on any train. There is no restriction on which trains you can catch when you return in the evening. Fares will increase next month, but are unlikely to go up by more than 5%.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both! Now, one more question (or two). Do I need to purchase tickets in advance (when I arrive in London) or can I wait until the morning of the planned trip? If I should buy them in advance, where can I get them? Any train station? And, some ideas on what not to miss in Canterbury (other than the Cathedral)? Thanks, Susan
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Susan,
normally the cheap day returns and cheaper tickets kick in after 10 am...for a cheap day return it's easy to buy it at the station on the day of yor trip.

Just to let you know the train station in Canterbury is at one end of the high street and it's easy to walk into town.

You come out of the station walk down to the end of the street and turn left onto the hightstreet. You'll quickly come to the river and an old entry gate to the city. You keep walking down the high street and it's about 15 minutes to the Cathedral ...turn left when you see Boots the chemist (sorry pharmacy)!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 12:03 PM

For what to see please try http://www.canterbury.co.uk/, then Tourist Information, then Visitor Guide. From the top of my head I think of the walls, St Augustine s Priory, the Cathedral, the Roman house, the medieval hospice, the half hour river trip, the museum in the West Gate, the county museum, and the church with Thomas More?s head.

welltraveledbrit s notes start from Canterbury West station, the one you reach from Charing Cross, whereas I think you have a better trip if you go from Victoria to Canterbury East.

You can buy your ticket at the station ten minutes before you go, or with more comfort buy it the day before at any main line station. I think you should not wait until ten to save 20 pence, but leave Victoria as soon as you are ready, perhaps with a sandwich and coffee to go in lieu of breakfast.

Ben Haines, London
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 01:01 PM

General question, please. For this train trip or going to Oxford, Sailisbury, etc for one day.

Do you have to specify which train you will be returning on? Is there a risk of not having a seat if you do not?

Thanks!

Keith
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 01:12 PM
ron

It is a pretty slight risk since, as was pointed out above, you are going the opposite way of the commuters. But you likely would be standing if you are going with the rush.

In most cases, reservations are not available on these short, partially commuter routes, so choosing a specific train in advance won't help.