Help with towns in southern Germany

Jan 29th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Help with towns in southern Germany

We are going to be traveling in Germany with a rental car. After we visit Neuschwanstein Castle we will drive toward Switzerland where we will use the train for transportation. I would like to drop the car off in a town in southwestern Germany which is picturesque because we will spend the night and possibly the next day there. Does anyone have any suggestions for a picturesque town in southwestern Germany? Thanks.
Jan 30th, 2005, 04:37 AM

Try Meersburg on Lake Constance. We stayed there for 3 nights last summer and loved it. Take the ferry to Mainau Island which has incredibly beautiful gardens. We spent about 5 hours there one day with our kids and we all had a great time.

We stayed at the 3 Stuben in Meersburg but there are several lovely places to stay.
Jan 30th, 2005, 03:35 PM

The problem with Meersburg is that it is not on a rail line. Konstanz might be a good place to drop off a car and then take a train on into Switzerland.
Jan 30th, 2005, 04:13 PM

I'd recommend Lindau on Bodensee/Lake Constanz. Be sure to visit the Island of Mainau to see the incredible gardens, if you are in that area anytime from April to October. It's also worth the time to visit Stein am Rhine, right on the G/S border. Lovely waterfalls just outside of town, and charming town with small but unique toy/doll museum.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:57 PM

I second the recommendation of Lindau. It is a quaint island city in Lake Constnacve (Bodensee), has good rail connections and you can go by boat to Bregenz to take the Pfaender cable car and have great view of the Austrian and Swiss mountains; as well you can take the boat to Nonnenhorn, etc.

You can pick up and return cars rented through AutoEurope in Lindau.

If you are inclined to splurge, take the train(or car or boat)) from Lindau to Friendrichshafen and catch a sightseeing flight ovet the lake shores of Germany, Austria and Switzerland in the new Zeppelin dirigible. I did that three years ago and it was truly a great experience.

If you want to visit the Mainau,do so before you turn in your car. Meersburg is hard to reach without a car. Drive to Meersburg, take the ferry to Konstanz, keeping in mind that the wait for getting the car on board can be lengthy.

You can then turn in the car in Konstanz. It too is a nice city, but does not have the charm of Lindau.

In Lindau, there are several hotels within easy walking distance of the RR station and the harbor. My favorite is the Hotel Reutemann, although it is a bit pricey.

PS: The zeppelins now use helium! So don't worry abouty another Hindenburg disaster, although the fire actually started with the doping used on the skin of the old zeppelins. Obviously, the hydrogen gas didn't help.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:23 PM

There are a few places. You can try Garmish, or Bertesgaden. The last one is my favorite. It is also right next to Salzburg, has a salt mine, several day tours as well as breathtaking views!

Clea
Feb 4th, 2005, 09:33 AM

We didn't have a car traveling to and from Meersburg and were able to use the bus system quite well. We didn't speak German but were able to get about quite easily by bus to various towns along the lake and to make rail connections. It is such a lovely quiet town that I feel the effort was worth it.
Feb 5th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Meersburg is also connected to Lindau and other towns by lakeboat, a wonderful way to commute. Both Meersburg and Lindau are delightful places. Lindau gets my vote. J.