Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with the cultural side of Vienna Christmas trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-the-cultural-side-of-vienna-christmas-trip-863274/)

returntoyourseat Oct 16th, 2010 04:33 AM

Help with the cultural side of Vienna Christmas trip

We are happy to be spending our first trip to Vienna at Christmas. I have researched most of the places to see, I am still working on restaurants but that is easy enough, most of the time that is. If you know a must see, I would certainly be thankful for any suggestions. I would like to see the opera or ballet, we have been to neither. Does anyone know if the Nutcracker and Boy's Choir is in Vienna during Christmas? There is nothing on the ticket sights but perhaps it is early.

Cathinjoetown Oct 16th, 2010 05:12 AM

This web site might be helpful; I've not used it myself.

There are some real Vienna experts on the board who hopefully will offer more suggestions.

In the meantime, have at look at: www.viennaclassic.com

joannyc Oct 16th, 2010 08:06 AM

The Vienna Boys' Choir will be singing at Mass at the Hofburg Chapel on Dec 19, 25, and 26. If you stand in the vestibule, there is a television with a split screen so you can watch both the service and the boys. If you are in the chapel, you won't see them during the service but they do come up to the altar at the end of Mass to perform a last song so you get to see them at that time.

On the 19th, they are also performing an evening concert.

http://www.wsk.at/jart/prj3/wsk_webs...h=12&year=2010

molker Oct 16th, 2010 11:00 AM

The Vienna Boys Choir sings as part of the Mass most Sundays of the year at the HofburgKapelle ( the Hofburg Chapel) in an old portion of the Hofburg Palace. Their participation during December is as usual. . The Chapel is very small- seating by buying advance purchase tickets.
These are very popular and most always sell out much in advance.

Many times some of the Boys come out into the courtyard after the Mass and photos possible.
The above poster does not understand the posted schedule as the evening concert mentioned is in the ski town of Galtur in the area of Tirol - this hours west of Vienna.
Their concert is part of the towns Christmas activities.

the Boys website

www.wsk.at

Many possible music , opera opportunities available.

No Nutcracker - here Hansel and Gretel are the family favorite presentation during this time.
This a nice operetta at the Volksoper.
Performances are December 23- 25 and 29. check schedule.

They also have a Weihnachtskonzert( Christmas Concert) on the 19th.
I have been several times - then it was not all Christmas music with half being famous presentations of popular operetta and other music with the last half Christmas oriented . This may not fitt for some visitors.

check the Volksoper website

www.volksoper.at

The Volksoper is a very short ride by public transport or by taxi from the city center. A nice venue and quality performances.

The State Opera
www.staatsoper.at

offers a ballet adaption of the famous operetta Fledermaus by Strauss on December 25 .several other times too. Again check schedule.

Other venues

Musikverein- most famous as the venue for the Vienna New Years concert.

www.musikverein.at
December 28 and 29 -varied program by the Tonkunstler Orchestra conducted by A. Eshwe.
This a good orchestra and this conductor always seems to be able to bring the best music from this group.
If still in Vienna - several preview performances of the New Years concert on the 30 and 31st- usually some tickets can be found-
The performance - the same as that on New Years -

Many Churches in Vienna with fine music during this time

one of the best is the Augustiner Church - also part of the Hofburg.
Christmas eve service with music 23:30 ( 11:30 PM)
but if you go - must get there very early - it always overfull
On the 25th Christmas day service at 11:00 Christmas carols

The Christmas Markets at Schonbrunn Palace and Freyung square have stages for Christmas music daily.

Freyung square in the city center - a fine market with nice crafts- usually music in late afternoon

Schonbrunn larger with various daily programs-
This Christmas Market is open on the 25th too. makes a festive visit.

Thus enough to keep you busy.

The Vienna Tourist Board usually issues a list of restarnts open during these Holidays.
You should make reservations for Christmas Eve the 24th as many fewer places are open.
On the 25th many more open - so you have a better choice and probably no nreed to reserve except for the best places

tourist website

www.wien.info

Note that the major celebration for this time is on Christmas Eve.
Many things close early on the 24th to allow employees to prepare for this family fest evening.
Many gather with family for a traditional gala dinner( usually the same menu for many years and exchange of small gifts.
Many then proceed to Church for midnight.
The 25th - a time for visits and family enjoyment - Most sightseeing places are open as usual .
The 26th is also a Holiday and normal shops , banks are closed -
Tourist sights open.

For tickets to Volksoper and State Opera it is best to buy direct- Ticket agencies have a big premium to the price.

joannyc Oct 16th, 2010 07:17 PM

molker, it is not that I don't understand the site, it is that I was only providing some rudimentary information to the OP. I don't know where Galtur is located and don't have the time to waste figuring out where it is. I thought the OP could take that information and do some research on his/her own.

molker Oct 17th, 2010 01:07 AM

My opinion - one should not suggest something that they do not know anything about.
It seems you do not " have the time to waste figuring out where it is " but it is ok to waste the time of the original poster to find that this is a well known ski resort - 6-7 hours west of Vienna.

returntoyourseat Oct 17th, 2010 02:20 AM

Thank you for your detailed post to my question, the links are great. I think I am going to choose to do a church service.

mangiacrauti Oct 17th, 2010 12:21 PM

check out: spottedbylocals.com/vienna

joannyc Oct 17th, 2010 07:09 PM

My opinion... what a jerk! Yes, it is ok to let the OP know that there is a concert and let them locate where that may be located.

joannyc Oct 17th, 2010 07:40 PM

And, may I add, that it is pretty clear on the website that the evening concert is not in Vienna!

Again, it was expected that the OP could do some research on their own.

molker Oct 18th, 2010 12:24 AM

For some, the only defense is resorting to petty name calling .
Seems to reflect the nature of some people.

I believe if it was so clear to a poster from a website that a recommendation was not even near the city " it is pretty clear on the website that the evening concert is not in Vienna" and does not even wish to "waste time " to find out about it, is not providing good advice.

Most here try to provide helpful, concise information directly related to the inquiry.