Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   help with switzerland itinerary-10 day trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-switzerland-itinerary-10-day-trip-468449/)

jci Aug 19th, 2004 06:20 PM

help with switzerland itinerary-10 day trip

We've unexpectedly gotten the chance to spend 10 days in Switzerland tacked on to a work trip and would appreciate any help in putting together an itinerary on short notice (we leave next week!). Our preference is smaller towns/villages and to stay in most places at least two nights. We're not much for nightlife, but want to do some walking/hiking (although on the lighter side since I'm 4 1/2 months pregnant). We'll be traveling by train.

From previous postings and travel books we're considering:

Sun - leave Lausanne after 4 day conference, travel to Murren

Mon - Murren with side trips to Interlaken, Wengen, Jungfraujoch

Tues- same as above

Wed - travel to Lucerne, stay in Lucerne

Thurs - travel to Lugano

Fri - Lugano with side trips to Morcote

Sat - Lugano with side trips to nearby villages

Sun - Travel to Sion

Mon - Sion

Tues Travel to Geneva

Wed - fly home from Geneva

A couple of other questions - given this itinerary are we likely to hit some of the more scenic train rides? Are we okay just booking hotels ahead by a few days to give us some flexibility or do we need to book them all now?

Thanks for the help!

swandav2000 Aug 20th, 2004 03:34 AM

Hi jci,

Your trip looks good -- you'll get a great overview of some of the best of Switzerland!

Because you'll be staying in some very scenic spots, don't spend too much time trying to get to the "scenic" trains. But this one will fit into your schedule nicely: as you travel from Lausanne to Muerren, go via Montreux & Zweisimmen. There are lots of trains that travel this route, but when the cars have large windows, it's called the "Golden Panorama" and it requires reservations! But just check the schedule and take this route to see the pretty Vaud alps and the beginning of the Berner Oberland. You'll go through Chateau d'Oex, Rougemont, Saanen, and Gstaad, very pretty villages. This scenic routing will probably add about 90 minutes to your travel time (regular route is Lausanne-Berne-Interlaken, etc).

As for hotels, since you're going in August (late August, early Sep?), it's high season in some of your spots. If I were you, I'd go ahead and make reservations. I think you'll be okay in Sion, but the best places may be fully booked in Muerren, Luzern, Lugano, and Geneva.

By the way, if you really like villages and smaller towns, consider staying in Nyon or Morges instead of Geneva for your last night. The train will take you directly to the airport, and it'll add only about 20-30 minutes to your morning journey. But it'll be prettier and cheaper than staying in Geneva.

Let me know if I can help further!

s

jci Aug 20th, 2004 04:36 AM

Thanks for the advice, particularly on the train ride from Lausanne to Muerren. Taking your tip on calling ahead for places to stay - does anyone have suggestions for small hotels you've liked in Muerren or Lugano?

Also, if anyone else has thoughts on our itinerary, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

swandav2000 Aug 20th, 2004 04:56 AM

Hi again jci,

Just a suggestion if you don't hear from others soon -- do a text search here for the town. You're sure to come up with some good recommendations, though they may be old!

s

Ingo Aug 20th, 2004 06:46 AM

Hi jci (and s!),

your itinerary sounds very good to me. One question, though: What is the reason to stay in Sion? Although it is not bad and certainly worth a day, I think there are more attractive places in Switzerland. If I were you I would probably add a day in Lucerne.

For the ride Lucerne - Lugano I recommend you take the steamboat Lucerne - Flüelen and from there the train to Lugano. The boat ride is very scenic.

If you are a little flexible regarding accommodation (read: accept higher rates or less comfort) you don't need to book in advance IMO. At least you could play around with the direct-booking website on www.myswitzerland.com to see what is available in the cities you are travelling.

By the way, neither Lugano nor Lucerne are small towns/villages, so I am wondering if you picked the right places.

Ingo

Louison Aug 26th, 2004 04:34 PM

Hello

If you are going thru Sion, you may want to consider a visit to villages located in Les Hauderes.

There is bus service (La poste)from the railway station in Sion to these villages as frequently as 8 times per day; very confortable...;from half to one hour travel.

My favorite: Evolene. Nice and a carrefour for many hiking trails.
Enjoy your trip!

Cicerone Aug 27th, 2004 12:24 AM

Itinerary looks good, I just want to chime in to say that I hope you are gong to spend some time seeing the Lausanne area. You will be in one of the most beautiful parts of a beautiful country, so take the time to enjoy it. I could sit and look at the mountains towering over Lac Leman for days. Vevey and Montreux are great little towns, take the incline railway up to Mont Pelerin in Vevey for great views and some good walks. The towns of Fribourg and Gruyeres have charming medieval parts and are easy to get to by train.

With regard to the Bernese oberland, I live in Zurich and we have had a very cool summer (actually normal, but after the last two summers a welcome surprise.) It has been in the 60s F and rainy for the past few weeks, and even cooler in the mountain areas. Zermatt had snow last weekend from what I was told. Bring layers. The Geneva/Lausanne area has had much the same weather, cool and wet.

baldrick Aug 27th, 2004 12:41 AM

jci,
seems ok if you are really in good shape in regards to your pregnancy. changes of altitude can provoke some dizzyness, so be careful with mountaintop hopping and hiking.
switzerland also has very nice spots under 2000 meters!
Vevey, Montreux, boat trips on the lake Leman, Neuchatel, Morat/Murten, Fribourg, Gruyères, Bern, Luzern and so on.

malibu Aug 27th, 2004 01:22 PM

Lugano is a great place to visit . A clean and reasonable hotel there which is right across the street from the lake is called Walter au Lac.