Help with Switzerland and/or Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 10 to 12 day trip to Switzerland for May. He has never been and I have only been to Lucerne. In discussing this with fellow travelers, some have suggested that we go to Austria instead or consider tacking on a few days in Austria to our time in Switzerland.

We'd like to rent a car for some amount of the time and are typically more interested in smaller towns than large cities, unless there is a city we shouldn't miss. We are in our mid-20s and love to hike/bike/etc.

I would greatly appreciate any insight into areas we must see or things we should shouldn't bother with. Thank you for any itinerary guidance you can provide.
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Austria is said to be cheaper than Switzerland, which may be a consideration. Otherwise both countries have enough alpine territory to satisfy your need to hike. Biking may be better along the Danube river (Melk and the Wachau valley). I do not think that a car is necessary; train travel between your destinations might be a better option. Someone mentioned that most Swiss train stations have bicyles available for rent.
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Do you mean 2004 or 2005?
If this year, where do you arrive and depart Europe? I would add the Lakes of Italy to your time in CH with your limited time.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM

I have visited one area of Austria that has high, cool mountains: The Ötztal and the villages of Langenfeld, Sölden, Obergurgl, and some others. It lies south and west of Innsbruck.
For that valley, you need a car or a very fast bicycle.
We rented an apartment there for a week and enjoyed it.

May, however, is too early for most of the mountain trails. They are still snowed in and often hotels are closed in some of the villages during May.

I had to sound a negative note, but May is not high season in the Alps for good reason.
You can still go and see the slopes but many facilities will be in repair.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. We are looking at a trip for 2005. If we were to add Lake Como, etc. in Italy, which areas of Switzerland should we focus on? Would the area/towns surrounding Luzerne be enough? When is high season for the kind of activities we're interested in (hiking, biking, sightseeing)? Thank you again.
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Hi, if you are looking for some outside action, you really should go to Interloken, Switzerland - it's the only place where they allow cave diving! or so I've heard. There's TONS of outdoor stuff to do there. Hiking in Austria is awesome as well, we hiked in Innsbrook and had an awesome time - you can do the trails or just do like we did and go straight UP the mountain. I spent 6 weeks in Innsbrook, Austria and I'm now absolutely in love w/the place and the people, so I agree that you should def. check out Austria. Lots of fun cafe/bars too.
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:28 PM

So much to see--so little time.
With 12 days I love an itinerary that starts and ends in Zurich and includes the Berner Oberland, the Lugano/ Lake Como area, and Luzern. I would train in CH, get a car in Lugano at Swiss rates, drop it there after doing the Lakes area, and train to Luzern for your last 2 nites. The Zurich airport is only about 1:20 from Luzern on departure day. My son from Chicago did this route 2 years ago and loved it. He is Mr. Go on this board. Search on that name--I think he had a trip report---hmmm--not sure. He has a super photo journal for that trip on his photo site--I will try to find it.
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:33 PM

This may be it--if so you will love it.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...11690961QQzhge
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Actually, here is our Swiss mountains scrapbook:
http://community.webshots.com/album/111416215tDqoRc

And here are our Lake Como shots:
http://community.webshots.com/album/111426084EaGejG

And contrary to reports, there are no giraffes in Switzerland or Italy!

~ Mr. Go (posting from Ms. Go's computer)
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Grazie Mr. Go !

Great pics gang--do not miss them--especially the grandaughter.