Search

Help with SW Ireland itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with SW Ireland itinerary

Hi all

Thank you for all of your help regarding my trip and itinerary; I appreciate it a great deal.

I really thought I had my plans pretty much set as to where I wanted to stay:

1 night - Ballymakeigh house (outside Youghal)

2 nights Kinsale

2 nights Kenmare

2 nights Connemara arear

1 night nearby Shannon airport

However, the drive from Kinsale to Kenmare looks absolutely gorgeous, and I would like to stop at both Baltimore and/or Clonakilty (plus, now I think I must go to Mary Ann's in Castletownshend for a good pub lunch). I'm wondering if I should add a day in Baltimore, to break up the drive to Kenmare, and in order to allow time to drive to Mizen Head. I'm not sure without breaking that trip up whether it would be too much in one day. Possibly I should stay one night, not two, in Kinsale?

Thoughts?

Thank you!!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 03:20 PM

We had lunch at Mary Ann's. It was nice on the day we stopped and had lunch outside in their back courtyard. If you are in anyway pressed for time, skip it. It was just OK.

Mizen Head on the other hand is a "must do." Drive from Kinsale to Crookhaven, spend the night, and the following morning do Mizen Head, and drive the Healy Pass on the Beara Peninsula on your way to Kenmare.

If you really want to have lunch at Mary Ann's, you could do it on the drive from Kinsale to Crookhaven. The Fortview House in Goleen is a highly recommended place to stay.

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Budman, are you the author of that wonderful trip report on Crookhaven? It sounded so wonderful that I saved it in my favorites; I especially enjoyed reading about the wonderful meal you had there.

I'm definitely trying to make a point of not being rushed in any way, but I hate to miss some wonderful, small coastal villages/towns, when I don't know when I'll be back. I suspect I could do Kinsale in a day and a half (arriving mid/late afternoon on first day, having the whole second day there)... So many wonderful options, and it's nice that these beautiful towns are on the route towards Kenmare, so that I can stop and visit for a bit even if I can't stay.

Thanks!!

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Betsy, I'm not sure?

Crookhaven is well worth a visit, especially if you are planning to had out to Mizen Head. We had a Fodorite GTG at the Crookhaven Inn with HappyCheesehead. The food was pub style -- not great, but enjoyable. Then we headed across the street to O'Sullivan's for a pint.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Budman

Oops, I must have you confused with someone else; sorry!

Sounds like you had a great time; I once had a Fodors get together in Paris, and it was a blast!