Help with Spain trains

Apr 18th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Help with Spain trains

2 questions.

1. RENFE only seems to have info about trains between Spain and a very few French towns. How can I find out connections and prices between Barcelona & Toulouse? RailEurope was no help either. There must be some web-site I don't know about.

2. When there is a listing for an overnight train and there is a price and then the drop down menu also has another price for a bed does that mean I add both the prices together? Ex. E36 per person for the trip and then the drop down says E71 for a deluxe double. Does this mean the trip will cost me E107 or just the E71 if I opt for the bed? Some categories were just the trip price and didn't include a bed option. Thanks.
Apr 18th, 2005, 05:24 AM

For schedules of European trains, I find it easier to use www.bahn.de. This does not give fares for international journeys, but you can get an idea of these from the individual countries' web sites. From Barcelona to Toulouse, you'll go via Port Bou and Cerbère: the RENFE site will give fares from Barcelona to Port Bou, and www.sncf.fr will give fares from Cerbère to Toulouse; if you travel on the through Talgo trains, there will be a hefty supplement.
In Spain, train fares are always inclusive - you do not add the cost of an overnight berth to the daytime fare. In fact, high speed daytime trains have big supplementary fares, so an overnight journey in a couchette ("litera" in Spanish) can even be cheaper than a daytime journey. Most overnight trains also have sleeping cars ("coche cama") and "gran clase" sleeping cars which have compartments with bathrooms. In all cases, the RENFE web site gives the total, fully inclusive, fare.
Apr 20th, 2005, 04:59 PM

I had the same query before, and I tried to ring Renfe....but didn't get very far as I don't speak Spanish at all. GeoffHamer, thanks for the answer!

Search this Thread