Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help with Spain itinerary over Christmas week for family

Help with Spain itinerary over Christmas week for family

Oct 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Help with Spain itinerary over Christmas week for family

Hi. We are travelling with our six year old to Spain in December. We are scheduled to arrive in Madrid Dec 23 and fly out of Seville Jan 2. Our son is an experienced traveller but we still need to balance cultural and kid stuff. I know Madrid will basically be shut down on the 25th and much of the 24th as well. My indecision is whether to add more time in Madrid and do some day trips or to go to Granada on the way to Seville for a day or two. I assume Jan 1 will also be a day with limited options.
Oct 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM

The evening of the 24th and the 25th will be quiet, but remember that the big day for giving gifts is Reyes (Three Kings day) on January 6th. All the holiday decorations are at their peak (many bright lights) between the 25th and Reyes.

Most people celebrate New Year's Eve with a family dinner, then usher in the New Year (eating 12 grapes, one with each strike of the clock at midnight) and THEN they will go out to party most or all of the night. It will be VERY quiet on the 1st.

I LOVE Granada (the Alhambra and the tombs of Isabella and Ferdinand in the church there), but I'm not sure there is much there to interest a six year old? Day trips to Toledo (the cathedral, especially if you explain how it was used as a city gathering place and the monks stayed in the choir while everyone else did chatted and conducted business; the elongated faces of the El Greco paintings; hunting for interesting gargoyles at St. John's church; buying marzipan; visiting a sword maker) and Segovia (Roman aqueduct, alcazar, some unusual architecture like the Casa de Picos, the yemas candies) might be more appealing.
Oct 4th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread