Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with Spain itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-spain-itinerary-292052/)

swissgirl Jan 25th, 2008 11:21 AM

Help with Spain itinerary

We are a family of 4, with 2 children, ages 15 and 11. We are planning a trip to Spain over easter and with all the great advise on this site, we are looking at this itinerary:
Fly into Madrid - spend 3 nights (note we are coming from Europe, so no jetlag)
Take AVE to Seville - spend 3-4 nights
then...this is where I could use the help
Would like to see the Alahambra and would also like to hit the coast, if possible, but not the Costa del Sol. Was thinking more if there is someplace west of Cadiz? Is it worthwhile at that time of year or will it still be too cold?
We are flexible on dates and I was thinking to fly out of Malaga so we do not have to travel back to Madrid.
Suggestions for 2nd part of trip?
Of course, any and all other suggestions also welcome!
Much appreciated.

swissgirl Jan 25th, 2008 12:10 PM

forgot to mention....hotel recs for family rooms appreciated as well.

bobthenavigator Jan 25th, 2008 01:16 PM

We spent a most memorable Easter one year in Nerja on the coast south of Granada. I would go that direction.

bilboburgler Jan 25th, 2008 01:19 PM

Might take the train to Cordoba as well as Seville

NEDSIRELAND Jan 25th, 2008 02:40 PM

Easter is early this year: 23 Mar. so it will definitely be too early for bathing.
West of Cadiz is Costa de la Luz and west of the Doñana someone has named Costa Ballena but that's just someone trying to attract more tourism. There's a Golf Resort on the coast just west of the Doñana wildlife refuge & a little further west (near Huelva) a Parador de Cristobal Colon (aka Parador de Mazagon): on a bluff overlooking a nice beach for sunbathing, etc. but as I mentioned, March is a bit early for beach activities.

NEDSIRELAND Jan 26th, 2008 06:50 AM

West of Cadiz?? How about el Puerto de Santa Maria, Domicile of Osborne (Sherries & Brandy). Or further up the coast, Sanlucar de Barrameda (where Manzanilla comes from). Otherwise you'll be crossing rio Guadalquivir to Donaña wildlife refuge (largest in Europe). The name of the Golf Resort west of there is Matalascañas, and that's where the Promoters have defined a mythical Costa Ballena (i.e., Whale Coast).

swissgirl Jan 27th, 2008 12:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions on beaches. wE will check those out. We are not necessarily looking to sunbathe, just a relaxed atmosphere. Thinking actually of skipping Madrid altogether and taking in Granada instead. Perhaps flying into and out of Malaga. Does it make sense to fly into Malaga, take a train to Seville for 3-4 nights, then train to Granada for a few and then towards Malaga?
Want to limit the amount of travel between places and be able to enjoy each place without feeling rushed. Is this doable? Are there trains from Malaga to these places?

kammie_joy Jan 27th, 2008 02:29 PM

If you do decide to fly out of Malaga, check out www.harefares.com as it lets you choose multiple origin and destination airports and then returns all the cheap airlines that fly those routes.

QueScaisJe Jan 27th, 2008 04:49 PM

Trains from Malaga to Sevilla take about 2:30 hours; on March 21 the fare is €17.30.

See the Renfe website: http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html

swissgirl Jan 29th, 2008 12:06 PM

Thanks everyone. I thinking I am changing again as the flights into and out of Malaga are 4 times the price of the flights into and out of Madrid. Kammiejoy, that is a great website!! But still only direct flight is EAsyjet which is the one that is 4 times as much.
So...thinking of flying into Madrid. Immediately, taking AVE to Seville. Do I need to book this in advance to get the cheaper fares? We would spend 4 nights in Seville, with perhaps a side trip to Granada or Cordoba. Then take the AVE back to Madrid for 4 nights with a day trip to Toledo or Segovia.
Question: This would put us in Seville during Holy Week with travel back to Madrid on Easter Saturday. Any special considerations during this time in Spain that we should be aware of? I believe there are festivals/processions but are these recommended to enjoy or avoid??? Will travel be extra hectic?
Thanks for all the help as usual.

swissgirl Jan 29th, 2008 12:11 PM

Sorry, one more question. As we have left so late, only 1 hotel in Seville that has a family room but it seems fairly nice and decent price...Hotel Albanico. Anyone stayed here?
Also, in Madrid, Petit Palace San Bernando...anyone stayed here??
Thanks,
Mary

Kimeryl Jan 29th, 2008 04:25 PM

Swissgirl, my recommendation is if you can be in Sevilla during Holy Week, you'll love it. It will be hectic, but I found it to be a memorable experience, and I think most people that have seen it will agree. It is, however, a different way to see the city. For our trip, we plan to hit Sevilla during Holy Week for a few days, then return the following week when things are a bit calmer. You definitely need to pre-reserve the train for Sunday, I would expect that to be a busy day traveling out of Sevilla.

swissgirl Jan 30th, 2008 05:17 AM

Kimeryl,
You convinced me. I just booked hotel in Seville. Getting excited now! Still looking for hotel in Madrid.