Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with Sorrento Itinerary and Hotel (Parca di Principia) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-sorrento-itinerary-and-hotel-parca-di-principia-186380/)

ilene Sep 6th, 2001 11:38 AM

Help with Sorrento Itinerary and Hotel (Parca di Principia)

I am trying to help my parents plan a trip to Italy in October and at the same time show my mother how useful this site is (and explain what I do all day at work!). They are scheduled to stay at the Parca di Principia in Sorrento and are curious about the hotel as it was not there first choice (I can't remember what was but it was booked). <BR> <BR>Can anyone please advise about this hotel or suggest other hotels for a comparable price (not more than $250/night). They would like to stay somewhere clean, nice, and convenient to sightseeing all over the Amalfi Coast. They are also not committed to being in Sorrento, other towns are fine too. They assumed that Sorrento would be most convenient to taking day trips to Capri, Positano, Naples and Pompei. Any restaurant or sightseeing suggestions for the Amalfi coast are welcome. They have rented a car so again, not limited to Sorrento. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance!

bob Sep 6th, 2001 11:46 AM

Hi Ilene, <BR>I've been in Italy many times but only one time in Sorrento. I had your same problem but with the kelp of a clever girl ,who is an operator and lives in Italy, I've always find good accomodation and other sevices (guide, car, restaurant). She is catherina and her adress is [email protected]

dan Sep 6th, 2001 01:01 PM

I have not stayed at the Parco dei Principi, but I visited the spectacular grounds there, really like a botanical park. It is a pretty good walk to the center of Sorrento. It's quite an upscale place, and right next door to the Grand Hotel Cocumella, one of the ritziest hotels in Italy.

Val Sep 6th, 2001 04:52 PM

Hi Ilene, <BR>I recently returned from the Parco Dei Principi and absolutely loved it! Be sure to request a room in the main hotel with an ocean view if possible...it's truly breathtaking and the tropical grounds are beautiful as well. The hotel manager's name is Nino Toscano and he will upgrade room on arrival if possible or you can request in advance. I have his fax and phone if you'd like. I too, was hesitant before arriving there and looked for other hotels, but was so glad we stayed at the Parco. The beach area and ocean swimming in the summer was perfect, though it will be colder in Oct. It is about a mile to downtown, but we enjoyed being a bit away from the crowded tourist areas. There is a public bus which stops in front of hotel and is much less expensive than a cab to downtown or marina. <BR>Our favorite restaurants were just away from the usual tourist traps of downtown Sorrento. Vela Bianca, at Marina Piccola provided excellent food and service. The owner and waiter were so hospitable, they even provided us with a complimentary ride back to our hotel after dinner. Another favorite restaurant was Amelia's, at Marina Grande. A very casual fisherman's restaurant, but the BEST food for just a few dollars! We found the food is best where the locals eat and were disappointed with the restaurants in downtown Sorrento. <BR>Email me if you'd like any additional info...I loved Sorrento and I'm sure your parents will to!

hamlet Sep 7th, 2001 10:27 AM

I stayed at Parco dei Principe a few years ago. While it is a very nice hotel, it was not as convenient as I would have preferred. It is on the edge of Sorrento, maybe even actually in the town of Sant'Agnello. It is about a 15-20 minute walk to the center of Sorrento - not a bad walk, but was a drag to do back and forth twice daily for a period of days. If they have a car, then they may not mind, but parking can be difficult in Sorrento (there are a few lots), and they may end up finding parking someplace just midway between the hotel and the center of Sorrento. <BR> <BR>As far as restaurant suggestions go, there are some great places in Massa Lubrense (right between Sorrento and Positano) which were written about in a recent Sunday NYT Travel article that was also mentioned on the board. One is Don Alfonso which is one of the highest rated restaurants in all of Europe - pricey and hard to get into, so make reservations now if you're interested.