Help with short trip to Europe

Oct 27th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Help with short trip to Europe

My wife and I will be in Frankfurt (for a seminar) in the first week of December and will have 3 days at the end of it.

We are very confused by the array of choices - as well as the short time we will have. Would greatly appreciate any words of advice on this.

We are in late 30s (going without the kids for the first time!), never been to mainland Europe (UK only).

Possible choices we have narrowed down are:

(1) Train from Frankfurt to Innsbruck (couple of hours), on to Salzburg for a day and then to Vienna for last day.

(2) Train to Paris - and spend the 3 days there.

(3) Fly to Rome, try and catch Venice or Florence as well.

We are really concerned about the paucity of time and the weather conditions at the time.

Look forward to your advice and recommendations.
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:43 AM

If I were you, I'd pick the one destination you always wanted to visit in Europe, fly there, and spend 3 days there.

Check http://www.whichbudget.com to find a budget airline which flies from Frankfurt to your favourite destination.
Oct 27th, 2005, 04:36 AM
ira

Hi ahmed,

You can fly from Frankfurt FRA to Paris CDG (3:30 hr) on Air Berlin for about 90E pp.

For about 80E you can take the train from Frankfurt HBF to Paris Est - 6:20 hr.

I would go by train.

Oct 27th, 2005, 05:46 AM

I doubt anyone on this board can tell you whether you'll prefer visiting Rome to visiting Paris. Or Lapland.

But on weather. Snow is unlikely that early in an average winter below 1500 metres anywhere south of Scandinavia or west of Belarus. Your travelling probably won't be disrupted.

You're presumably not intending sunbathing, so it's hard to see how weather can affect sightseeing or whatever else you had in mind. Even the wettest, blusteriest December day in Athens or Rome makes for far more pleasant sightseeing than the vile summers they swelter under. Weather really isn't an issue in western Europe at that time of the year, though you'll need to carry an umbrella in case virtualy everywhere.

Do remember though that the airport describing itself as Frankfurt Hahn, where most low-costs operate from, is a long way from Frankfurt and that on the way back, connecting with intercontinental flights out of Frankfurt's real airport can be prolonged and messy.

Oct 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses.

I personally favor Rome, but have flights back are not timed for perfection!

Paris increasingly sounds like where we'll be headed.

I want to go Frankfurt/Paris by train.

At the moment, exploring hotels and possible itinerary etc. Any suggestions?

Oct 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM

To Paris can be as quick as 5:05 hrs (the 08:00 train via Aachen and Bruxelles where you pick up the Thalys).

But you might want to stop in Köln, and for a few hours in Bruxelles also. The Köln cathedral is fabulous and it's a nice inner city to stroll a bit.

Bruxelles (near the Centraal station, you'll have to take the local train for one stop from Midi) is also worth a stop and stroll and meal (!!!) and a look at the fabulously preserved Grand' Place that takes you back hundreds of years.

So a long travel day will get you into Paris late and happy. They even feed you on the swank Thalys.

Check out www.bahn.de and www.thalys.be and - if needed - www.voyages-sncf.fr

WK
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice.

We have decided on Paris and we will have exactly Two and a half days (we'll be able to leave Frankfurt after 5 PM on Thursday and have to fly out of Paris by midday Sunday).

We were thinking of taking a late train from Frankfurt on Thurday, sleep on the jounrney and arrive in Paris on Friday morninf. That would give us all of Friday, Saturday and a bit of Sunday morning in Paris.

The stopovers sound very tempting, but given the short time we will have in Paris, our inclination is to go there straight.