Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with short hiking trips around England, Northern France

Jan 26th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Jake172

Could anybody suggest regions in England and/or Northern France for some hiking? We'll be carrying everything with us, so maybe a town to town trip in an area with nice scenery would work.

Jan 26th, 2003, 10:30 AM
JC

There are many great hiking routes around England and Northern France. Do you prefer walking around hills/mountains/canal or river towpaths/coasts? vineyards/medieval towns/fishing villages?

In Northern France, I have enjoyed walking in Brittany very much-little old towns,magnificent coastal walks, great food.

In England,Pembrokeshire coastal walks,Southwest coastal walks, East Anglia coastal walks,Peak District are my favorites. Centainly,Lake District, Cotswolds are most famous for hiking too.

For basic route planing,I find these books quite helpful: The independent walker's guide to Great Britain and The independent walker's guide to France, both by Frank Booth. France on Foot (Bruce Lefavour),The National Trust book of Long Walks (Adam Nicolson).

Jan 27th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Jake172

Thanks for the advice JC! Exactly what I was looking for! I'll be looking those guides up!

Jan 27th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Our favorite day hikes are in the Lake District of England. There are many possibilities there and the countryside is beautiful. The Yorkshire Dales are also a good hiking area.
Jan 27th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Hi JC. Sorry to be picky, but Pembrokeshire is in Wales - not England. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful walk and I would definitely recommend it!
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:57 AM

Sorry about including Pembrokeshire in this thread,I knew it is in Wales, but it's such a beautiful route to walk (any many good and cheap B&B),I really hated not to mention it.