Search

Help with sequencing please - Malaga, Seville, Granada and Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2023, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with sequencing please - Malaga, Seville, Granada and Rome

Hi everyone,

First of all, I am glad I discovered your website and forum. I am familiar with reddit and I don't think I have ever seen this level of detailed and quality discussion and advice on travel.
My family is planning a 14 day trip to mainly Spain but we are waiting to squeeze in Rome at the end. We would be leaving from Canada and current plan is to land in Malaga. Our tentative itinerary is as follows: Malaga (4 days), then Seville (4 days), then Granada (3 days) and fly out from Granada to Rome for the final 3 days before catching flight back to Canada from Rome. We are thinking about switching out either Seville or Granada for Madrid...

I would love your input and any insights you might have on the sequencing of the cities in Spain and the added leg to Italy.
We would be renting a car for the duration of our stay in Spain (renting from Malaga and hoping to be able to drop it off in Granada on our way out). I've read that Hertz might be a good option here.

I am going to continue to peruse the different threads on the cities we plan on visiting to learn more about activities etc.

Thank you so much
Hassan

Last edited by Hassansqr; Mar 1st, 2023 at 03:01 PM.
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 04:29 PM

Welcome to Fodors.
I too am always awed by the vast experience of some travelers here and their willingness to share their knowledge and even differing opinions. I have benefited so much from all of it.

You will love Spain.
You have listed your trip as 14 days, but also allocated 14 days as being in places. Do you actually have more days set aside for travel to and from Canada and for getting between places so those days are whole days on the ground in each place? They are pretty generous allocations, but If you have not accounted for that travel time, you might want to reassess how much time you will actually have. You might choose to allocate the days differently, or not.

Have you already booked the flight from Rome?
When is the trip?
How many in your family? Ages?
What are you major interests? Do you like museums?
Knowing more about your group will get best suggestions.
You might not need a car the whole time in Spain. It can be a pain in Seville and Granada.
Are you considering any day trips, such as Cordoba from Seville?
Four days in Marbella seems a bit more than needed. Have you looked into flights to other cities?
Though walking there is wonderful, two days (even 1 day, 2 nights) would be fine for most people for Granada.

I would definitely keep Seville. I love Granada too.

This is only my personal opinion, but you are already spending a huge amount of time and money just getting to Spain, and then seeing such a tiny, tiny bit, and skipping over some of the most glorious things in Spain, it does not seem the best plan to me. If it were close and easy, it would be different, but it is not. You would be spending a lot of money and time for only a short time in Rome, short changing Spain and yet no time anywhere else in Italy. I would absolutely cut Rome and see more of Spain instead. Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, Segovia or even Barcelona could be possible additions. Granted, Rome is indeed a glorious city, but I would save it for when you can see more of Italy: Florence, Venice, Pisa, Assisi, the AC, Pompeii, etc.
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 08:45 PM

That's a lot. Even worse if the 14 days include arrival and departure.

Let's assume worst case

Day 1 arrival. Jet lag. Travel. Just getting to the hotel. If you're lucky jet lag will only slow you down this day.

Day 2
Day 3 Malaga

Day 4 At least half a day lost traveling to Seville. Packing, checking in and out

Day 5
Day 6 Seville
Day 7

Day 8 Once again a half day lost to travel

Day 9 Granada
Day 10

Day 11 Day lost flying to Rome .

Day 12 Rome
Day 13

Day 14 fly home

Look at it that way. The only stop you'll actually visit is Seville. Which will be busy if you try to hit the highlights. Granada okay can be "done" in two days. Rome won't even be a light skimming.

Swapping in Madrid IMHO would make it worse. Madrid is further away. It has more to see than Granada. Different things than Seville.
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 10:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not include Rome
I would think carefully about using a car. There are regions where a car make a lot of sense, but in the narrow streets of some of these cities make little sense and will be parked up for much of the time.

I might look at Malaga (great little city and some wonderful art), Sevilla, Cordoba and Grenada. All of these can be visited by train very easily and Spanish trains are comfortable and very low cost for Europe.

I would add Madrid to the trip

However, you don't say when you will be travelling, my advice might change between June and December
Old Mar 2nd, 2023, 04:34 AM

How many nights on the ground do you actually have? Have you made any airline reservations yet? And what month is your trip? I love Andalucia but keep in mind that Andalucia is very, very hot during the summer months. Think 90's and 100's.

I agree with the posters who suggest dropping Rome on this trip. You waste too much time getting to Rome and it's not worth it for only a few days. Many years ago we spent a whole week in Rome. I would find a few days in Rome very frustrating.

I would concentrate on Andalucia for this trip, and possibly Madrid. Fly into Malaga as planned and fly home from either Seville or Madrid.

A possible itinerary:

Malaga - 2 or 3 nights - we love Malaga. It's a very pretty city with lots to see and do. And you have the added advantage of being on the Mediterranean which will be especially nice if your trip is during the summer.
Granada - 2 nights - Don't omit Granada. The Alhambra is amazing!
Cordoba - 2 nights - I can't imagine going to Andalucia and not seeing the Mezquita. Cordoba is a lovely city and is very special at night when the daytrippers have left and the city is illuminated.
Seville - 4 nights - Another beautiful city with lots of important historical and cultural sites.
Madrid - 4 nights - has outstanding art museums, Royal Palace, Retiro Park. You could do a day trip to Toledo.

This itinerary assumes you have 14 or 15 nights on the ground.

You can visit all of these places by train or ALSA bus. A car is a hindrance in all of these cities.
Old Mar 2nd, 2023, 05:02 AM

Getting to Madrid won't be much easier than flying to Rome. Personally I don't see that helping much. Drop Rome but use the days to bulk up Seville etc. Not to add a different stop.
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Hello. Thank you for the response and for the advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. You ask good questions and honestly it got us thinking. We have not booked the flights yet. We love to learn about the history and culture of the places we visit and this was the motivating factor for wanting to visit this region (Andalusia in particular). Based on everyone's response, we are thinking of sticking to a few cities and eliminating Madrid and Rome. Still hung up on the car rental. I am going back to the drawing board and hope to be back with more details. Again, really appreciate the opportunity to ask these questions and for your thoughtful and informative respone.
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

You are right, we are a little stretched to say the least. I am going back to the drawing board and plan is to eliminate Madrid and Rome. Will be back with an itinerary that is more reasonable lol.
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Welcome to Fodors.
I too am always awed by the vast experience of some travelers here and their willingness to share their knowledge and even differing opinions. I have benefited so much from all of it.

You will love Spain.
You have listed your trip as 14 days, but also allocated 14 days as being in places. Do you actually have more days set aside for travel to and from Canada and for getting between places so those days are whole days on the ground in each place? They are pretty generous allocations, but If you have not accounted for that travel time, you might want to reassess how much time you will actually have. You might choose to allocate the days differently, or not.

Have you already booked the flight from Rome?
When is the trip?
How many in your family? Ages?
What are you major interests? Do you like museums?
Knowing more about your group will get best suggestions.
You might not need a car the whole time in Spain. It can be a pain in Seville and Granada.
Are you considering any day trips, such as Cordoba from Seville?
Four days in Marbella seems a bit more than needed. Have you looked into flights to other cities?
Though walking there is wonderful, two days (even 1 day, 2 nights) would be fine for most people for Granada.

I would definitely keep Seville. I love Granada too.

This is only my personal opinion, but you are already spending a huge amount of time and money just getting to Spain, and then seeing such a tiny, tiny bit, and skipping over some of the most glorious things in Spain, it does not seem the best plan to me. If it were close and easy, it would be different, but it is not. You would be spending a lot of money and time for only a short time in Rome, short changing Spain and yet no time anywhere else in Italy. I would absolutely cut Rome and see more of Spain instead. Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, Segovia or even Barcelona could be possible additions. Granted, Rome is indeed a glorious city, but I would save it for when you can see more of Italy: Florence, Venice, Pisa, Assisi, the AC, Pompeii, etc.

Hello. Thank you for the response and for the advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. You ask good questions and honestly it got us thinking. We have not booked the flights yet. We love to learn about the history and culture of the places we visit and this was the motivating factor for wanting to visit this region (Andalusia in particular). Based on everyone's response, we are thinking of sticking to a few cities and eliminating Madrid and Rome. Still hung up on the car rental. I am going back to the drawing board and hope to be back with more details. Again, really appreciate the opportunity to ask these questions and for your thoughtful and informative respone.
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
That's a lot. Even worse if the 14 days include arrival and departure.

Let's assume worst case

Day 1 arrival. Jet lag. Travel. Just getting to the hotel. If you're lucky jet lag will only slow you down this day.

Day 2
Day 3 Malaga

Day 4 At least half a day lost traveling to Seville. Packing, checking in and out

Day 5
Day 6 Seville
Day 7

Day 8 Once again a half day lost to travel

Day 9 Granada
Day 10

Day 11 Day lost flying to Rome .

Day 12 Rome
Day 13

Day 14 fly home

Look at it that way. The only stop you'll actually visit is Seville. Which will be busy if you try to hit the highlights. Granada okay can be "done" in two days. Rome won't even be a light skimming.

Swapping in Madrid IMHO would make it worse. Madrid is further away. It has more to see than Granada. Different things than Seville.

You are right, we are a little stretched to say the least. I am going back to the drawing board and plan is to eliminate Madrid and Rome. Will be back with an itinerary that is more reasonable lol.
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Karen. I will use your possible itinerary to start with

We are going to focus on Andalucia as you suggest.
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 03:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Hassanqr, and welcome to Fodors. You've already had some great advice, so I hope you won't mind my two pennu'oth which is going to contradict what you've already decided, but only a little - don't jettison Madrid until you've checked the flights which are available to you. Also you might like to consider flying into one place and out of another, [booked as multi-city, not one way x 2 which will be much more expensive]. However if you do a round trip, try to put your time in the city you are flying out of at the end of the trip so that there is no mad dash on the last day to get to the airport.

As for the car, really it isn't necessary. Spanish trains are great and in a 14 day trip you should easily be able to see all you want by using trains and perhaps the odd bus.