Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help with section of Itinerary on Istria leg
Notices

Help with section of Itinerary on Istria leg

Nov 4th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Help with section of Itinerary on Istria leg

Per other posts, I am working my way from Venice to Dubrovnik (ending with 1 1/2 days in Zagreb) for 2 weeks starting on Nov. 18th. The middle part of the trip in Croatia is somewhat open.

I plan to take a train to Trieste and then bus down to Pula area and then up to Rijeka for which I have about 3 day to do the trip. Not much time but leaving time for the Dalmatia coast.

I was thinking about taking bus to Pula and then Rijeka but am thinking I might take bus to Rovinj, spend rest of day there and morning and then go to Pula to see the Coliseum and either stay there or try to catch a bus to Lovran, which means I would end up skipping Rijeka for the most part. Thought about renting a car and hitting some of the hill towns but may just be too much with such a short amount of time.

Any help or guidance is appreciated

Subs
Nov 4th, 2011, 03:41 PM

No help here, BUT, I'd really appreciate a report on your experiences.
Nov 4th, 2011, 05:41 PM
kja

> am thinking I might take bus to Rovinj, spend rest of day there and morning and then go to Pula to see the Coliseum and either stay there or try to catch a bus to Lovran, which means I would end up skipping Rijeka for the most part.

From what you've previously said, I think you will enjoy Rovinj more than Rijeka. Rovinj is very picturesque and is a great place for walking around and sipping coffee or wine or whatever while enjoying the scenery and people-watching.

As I've mentioned before, I thoroughly enjoyed Lovran, but it is very tiny and not at all posh. Once a tourist resort (maybe in the 1940s?), it has been largely left alone for many years now. It is affordable and charming (if at least a bit rundown) and I thought it a great place to begin a walk along the wonderful Lungomare that extends from Lovran to the east of Opatija. I was there in shoulder season, very close to high season, and it was extremely quiet; I would guess that it is even more quiet at other times of year. By contrast, Opatija was pleasantly lively.

Search this Thread