Help with San Gregorio Magno inscription

Jul 4th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Help with San Gregorio Magno inscription

Can anyone tell me what the inscription is (if that's the right word) on the facade of the San Gregorio Magno in Rome--letter for letter--and what it means?

My photo (and photos online) are hard to make out in spots, and I can't find anything online that talks about the inscription. It's something like this: "DEISGSABIN CARDBVRGHESIVSMPOENITES ADM DCXXXIII"

As far as the "CARD BVRGHESI" part, here is what I have pieced together: Cardinal Scipione Borghese oversaw the building and decoration of the oratory chapels of St. Andrew and St. Sylvia beside San Gregorio Magno. The facade of the San Gregorio was built in 1633; Cardinal Borghese died in that year.

Can anyone tell me more?

Thanks!!!

StephanieB

Jul 4th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Hi Stephanie:
I looked in my many books on churches of Rome but didn't get an answer to your question. If you post your question on the Slowtalk website for Italy, Bill Thayer may see it and have an answer for you. He knows many of the details of Roman churches.
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

P.S., the last part is of course 1633.
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Grinisa,

Thanks for looking and for the tip on Slow Talk-I found it and I'll try that. I appreciate your help!

Stephanie
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:55 AM

You're welcome. Hope Bill can help--he is a wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to Rome, churches and architecture.