Help with rental in burgundy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending a week with another couple in Burgundy (along with 3 kids under 3 years of age) and would like recommendations on a nice rental (villa, cottage, etc). We figure with three small children a house would be easier than staying in a hotel. We're planning to use it as a base and take day trips. Any help would be appreciated. Also, any ideas as to what village would be a good home base. Thanks.

Rick
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:05 AM

www.gite.com will give you many rentals all over France.....also www.vrbo.com
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Hello, boliche. Like gracejoan, I cannot recommend a specific property to you, but can suggest some websites.

Here are three of my favorites.

http://www.holidayrentals.co.uk/index.cfm (mostly British owners, so no communication problems; very detailed descriptions)

http://www.gites-de-france.fr/eng/index.htm (Somewhat difficult to use, but very good prices)

http://www.flv.fr/flv/uk/rechgeo.htm (usually good descriptions and pictures)

Happy hunting!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:19 PM

What made you choose Burgundy?
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:50 PM

I didn't mean that to sound abrupt! It's just that we love Burgundy and wish more people would discover the region. I've written two articles on Burgundy; I can send them to you if you want.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Underhill, have you ever stayed at
Hotel Chateau de la Berchere in Nuits-Saint-Georges? We had a nice visit there.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies so far. I have reviewed some of those sights. The fact is, it's very hard to tell much from just a few pictures. I traveled to Ireland last year and the recommendations off this site were fantastic!! So I'm hoping I can get more first hand recommendations for Burgundy.

As far as why we chose Burgundy, my wife is presenting a paper at a conference in Le Crueuset, so we figure as long as we're there...make a vacation out of it.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:49 PM
blh

Underhill - we are also planning to spend several days in Burgandy in October. I would appreciate your sending your articles - would love to read them. My email is [email protected]. Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:55 PM

you can also try
www.villasandvoyages.com--

Look up the villas that interest you and CALL David on the phone.....he will steer you in the right direction...

You don't mention the time of year, but summers can be EXTREMELY HOT, so make sure you get a villa WITH a POOL..and try to get AIR CONDITIONING ( sometimes this really IS available...
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Underhill, please do email me copies of your article. Any pre-reading I'm sure will help plan our trip. My email is [email protected]. Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Boliche,

I'll send them right now. I hope you find them useful.
FYI, I also have a number on Provence and Brittany.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:41 PM

Underhill -- we are looking to travel somewhere for a week this summer with possibly two to three couples. Important to all of us are food and drink, relaxation, and we all enjoy smaller, less touristy locations, with easy access to day trips (some museums, cooking classes for me, beaches, hiking for one couple). Any regions you would suggest? I was looking into Lake Como area, now thinking Burgundy. thanks for the help...
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:52 PM

Sounds like Burgundy to me! It's beautiful country, and Burgundian cuisine is one of France's best. Burgundy tends to be less touristy than some other regions of France, but there's lots to see: Dijon (with a fine museum), Autun (great cathedral and Roman ruins), Beaune (charming town and major wine center), and all those wine villages. But no beaches! However, there's the Morvan for hiking and exploring. You would have a very nice week! Here's the link to my articles on Burgundy for detailed information:

http://www.bonjourparis.com/pages/se...Jean+Underhill

Let me know if that doesn't work for some reason. You can also search the bonjourparis.com web site's archives.