Help with Rental Car? (France to Italy)

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 05:09 PM
DebiC

Help with Rental Car? (France to Italy)

We are renting a car in Paris and driving south to Provence, over to Italy and down to Rome. The catch is...we NEED an automatic...what is the best way/most economical way to get one. We arent going to until end of September, but I wanted to start now to try and find the best deal and the best most reliable agency to go through. You guys have given me great advice on everything so far, so hopefully you can help me out with this little detail as well...Im always amazed how helpful you all are! Thanks in advance!!!

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 05:42 PM
wes fowler

Debi, <BR>There is no effective economical way to rent an automatic. The rental costs will be higher and fuel mileage considerably less than with a stick shift. Equally problematic is the strong possibility that upon arrival to pick up your car, no automatic may be available despite your confirmed reservation. <BR> <BR>With the amount of time you have available prior to traveling, you'd be well advised to make every effort to learn to drive a stick shift auto.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Nan

Hi Debi, <BR> <BR>We did this in October and it was easy --if you're really concerned, just go through a travel agent. You can prepay with cancellation privelages and relax. I think our agent used AutoEurope and Budget (we picked up and dropped off cars in a few different countries). In large cities like Paris and Rome you should have no problem guaranteeing automatics. <BR> <BR>The cost wasn't much higher than renting midsize cars in the U.S. and the vehicles were better -- Mercedes and Renaults. <BR> <BR>There's obviously nothing you can do about the higher fuel costs, but gas costs a fortune over there anyway. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 09:42 PM
DebiC

Thanks Nan! <BR>I thought I had read that it was easier these days to get an automatic, especially in big cities..I just wanted to ask, b/c my MIL who we will be travelling with was more than a little concerned, (and you know how they can get sometimes). I will check things out with a travel agent this week! Thanks again!

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 09:49 PM
Patrick

How long are you renting? If over 17 days then Auto France (the Peugeot lease option) and the one for Renault (I forget what that is called) will definitely confirm an automatic and as you will pick up a brand new car it will be exactly as you specify -- no problem. Their leases are all inclusive only, including total insurance with no deductible as you will receive a brand new car, and they want to keep it new as they will resell it after you lease it. We rented one in Rouen (easier pick up that Paris we thought), and dropped off in Rome at the airport. There was a substantial drop off fee, but apparently no worse than most of the regular rental agencies. Check them out.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 10:13 PM
DebiC

Unfortunately, its less than 17 days, otherwise that would have been a great plan...thanks for the input!

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 03:43 PM
michael

DebiC: We are going to Florence @ Tuscany this Spring - AVIS has us guarenteed (I hope) an automatic at the Rome airport. Airports are easier since there are so many more deliveries than at a one stop. <BR> <BR>Michael