Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with pub walks! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-pub-walks-291975/)

cheriegal Feb 24th, 2003 10:31 AM

Help with pub walks!

We want to do one of the London Walks pub walks while in London the middle of March.<BR>I have gone to their web site and read about them but I'd like to hear from people that have done them. How long do they last? Does the price include drinks in the pubs or can you just order what you want? How long do they last? Is there one pub walk that's better or are they all pretty much the same??

Mikeee007 Feb 24th, 2003 11:22 AM

I took the pub walk about 10-12 years ago, and it was fun. We hit 4-5 pubs, talked about the history of the area, and the history of the pubs. It was a buy your own pint or half pint depending upon how fast you can down it.<BR><BR>It was with a company that had a lot of different walking tours, pub walk being one of them. Don't know if there are other pub walks, though.<BR><BR>Last year we took a Big Bus tour of London which included a walking tour one evening. That was fun also. Hit a couple of pubs on the walk.

debbier Feb 24th, 2003 11:46 AM

I did one this summer that lasted about two hours. I didn't really choose based on the subject but chose a convenient time. It was very interesting and met some fun people. You just order what you want but they suggest a couple of different beers at each one.

ron Feb 24th, 2003 12:48 PM

The point of these guided pub walks is that you get a guided walk of a neighbourhood with short stops at three pubs. You will learn about the history of the neighbourhood, historic sights, architecture, famous people who have lived there in the past or now, etc. At the pub stops, you will get a bit of a history of the pub and any interesting associations. Drinks are not included in the price, although the walk leader will suggest a beer to try and advise on other beers. There is no obligation to buy beer or any other drink. Usually one of the pubs will serve food and if any of the walkers want to have a quick pub meal, the leader will set aside the time. In one case I remember, the leader used his mobile to phone fish &amp; chip orders at the next pub to be visited. <BR><BR>If you have no interest in any particular neighbourhood, it really doesn’t much matter which walk you go on. A favourite of mine is the Chelsea pub walk - the neighbourhood is up-market, non touristy and the pubs are interesting.

emjoy Feb 25th, 2003 11:07 AM

I did two pub walks while in London in January , and I've been on pub walks in the summer too, all from the Original London Walks company. I've never been disappointed. The 5 pounds just pays for the walk, and you buy whatever you want (or don't want-plenty of folks don';t drink on them) at each place you stop. No matter which walk we did (themed ghosts, or Archetecture or history etc.) you get a little bit of information on all categories of interest. The best part about the pub walk is the friendly local guide (often actors or historians), and walking through tiny alleyways or through gardens which seem private you wouldn't dare attempt on your own, and going into pubs where you feel welcomed. Particularly helpful to those shy travelers who stand outside the pub pretending to stare at the menu and trying to size up the place before walking in. : )