Help with Prien, Salzburg and Berchtesgaden Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and me will be doing a strictly driving tour. We will, leisurely, drive from Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Hohenschwangau. I have made reservations for 3 nights at the Landhotel Guglhupf. Our intent in this area is to see the 3 Ludwig Castles, Zugspite, Oberammergau, Ettal and just enjoy any scenery, etc.

From Hohenschwangau we will again, leisurely drive to Prien. I have made reservations for 3 nights at the Sporthotel Achental. Intention is to see Herrenchiemsee Castle and not sure what else.

Now this is where I'm not sure of what to do. We have 2 more nights to plan before heading for Venice. We want to see some of Salzburg, Eagle's Nest, maybe the Ice Caves and ??? There is so much to see and probably not enough time! BTW we would have already seen Munich since that is our starting point.

Should we shorten our stay in Prien and then stay in Salzburg and then Berchtesgaden?

If Salzburg should we stay within the city? I was thinking maybe the Golden Tulip. Or, should we go down to Berchtesgaden area?

Thanks so much for any help.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:09 AM

The main attraction at Prien and Stock (the actual jumping off point for the boats over to the island and Herrenchiemsee) is the presence OF the palace. Once you've visited it you'll see why, especially the elaborately decorated interior.

However, other than using Prien/Stock as a base I think you could easily move on after seeing the palace/spending a full day. Salzburg is not far a drive and has more to see/do, too.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:41 AM

I hadn't heard of the Landhotel Guglhupf before so I took a quick peek online.

Not sure what you're paying, but based on what I'm seeing online it looks a bit pricey for the area.

Have you looked at:
http://www.albrecht-neuschwanstein.de/index2.html

or

http://www.alpenhotel-allgaeu.de/engl/e-willkommen.htm

Nice restaurant at the Alpenhotel Meier.

While you're in the Hohenschwangau/Schwangau area take a short trip to see the Wieskirche. It's worth a visit. Not overwhelming on the outside, but that just makes the inside more impressive.

http://www.wieskirche.de/
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:42 AM

By the way, in addition to the Rom. Pen. Albrecht, there are other nice pensions in Hohenschwangau within walking distance of the ticket center and castle roads.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
JN

Might consider staying in Hohenschwangau area for three nights, then a couple in Berchtesgaden after a day trip to Prien then three in Salzburg. Beyond seeing the Herrenchiemsee castle, not sure if the area holds enough to stay there.

Another option is to avoid one move and stay 3 days in Hohenschwangau and 4-5 days in Berchtesgaden or Salzburg, with day trips instead of unpacking/moving.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM

We usually stay in Berchtesgaden and do easy day trips to Salzburg.

I do not think it is necessay to change hotels between these two cities as you have a car. Just pick one and drive to the other. I don't think it is much longer that 45 minutes.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:54 PM

Well, I have a little different take on staying in Prien:
It is a very nicely located place to visit all the places you want to see. For example, I would take the train, not the car, to Salzburg. A car is a nuisance in Salzburg. The train takes less than an hour, and you and your husband can travel together on a Bayernkarte for about 23 Euro round trip.

The drive from Prien to Berchtesgaden is a nice day's drive, going from Prien to Reit im Winkel and then on the very scenic Alpensgrasse (B-305) to B'gdn. Takes about a couple of hours at the most. If you want to, you then can return via Bad Reichenhall and the Autobahn to the Bernau exit and back to Prien.

Incidentally, when do you plan to travel? The Kehlsteinhaus (aka Eagle'sN nest) is likely to be closed for at least the middle of April, with all the snow they were having this year.

Another nice place to visit from Prien is Aschau, and take the cable car to the top of the Kampenwand. (About 45 minute drive) And while in Prien, be sure to have lunch or dinner at the Malerwinkel, a nice restaurant along the Chiemsee ( about 15km from Prien, if you drive clockwise around the lake). Has a great view of the lake and mountains and good food.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Treplow. We will be in that area from Oct 1st thru the 6th.

BTW can anyone tell me exactly where Hohenwerfen is located? Have looked in many sites, but they don't give the location. Is it worth seeing?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Lydia
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
JN

If you go to viamichelin.com for driving directions, and enter "Werfen", you'll find it. Werfen, where the Hohewerfen castle is located, is about 42 km southeast of Salzburg.

Here is a route from Prien:
http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamich...&image.y=7
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I was born and raised right in the center of the Sound Of Music lake region just east of Salzburg. Have been living in the USA now for 5 years and am currently in the process of creating a new website about Austria at www.BeautifulAustria.com (the site that is currently up is my old design, I am currently completely revamping it).

If you have 2 days to spare, then you MUST see the city of Salzburg AND the lake region to the east of it (look for a town called St.Wolfgang or another one called Hallstatt).

Even if you just do a day trip through the lake region (Salzburg, St.Wolfgang, Hallstatt, Bad Ischl, Mondsee, Salzburg) (for a trip to all of these towns I recommend one overnight before you get back to Salzburg).

The very least see St.Wolfgang, Hallstatt and the eagles nest in Berchtesgaden. You'll never regret this.

I will have pictures of all these places up on www.BeautifulAustria.com in a few weeks. (If life doesn't interfere that is ).

Enjoy your trip and feel free to contact me through the website for more tips.

Reinhard