Help with planning my last day in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help planning my last day of a 3 week trip to Italy. I will begin in Rome for 10 days, then Venice, Florence and lastly an agritourismo outside of Siena with a car for the last four days to explore the countryside. On my last day, I need to drop off the car and eventually get to the Rome airport for a 9:30 flight the next morning. All suggestions are welcome, after all, it will be my last day in Italy. I want to make it memorable.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:57 AM

I would probably stop in one or 2 towns in Umbria on the way down to Rome. Siena to Fiumicino is about a 3 hour drive. You could take the whole day and stop in say Assisi or Perugia or Orvieto.
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:42 AM

No doubt in my mind - end the day at the airport, turn the car in there and retire to a nearby hotel (at the airport). You'll need to be at the terminal first thing in the morning...
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:58 AM
sjj

Ostia Antica is a fairly short car ride to the airport and I'm pretty sure there's a motel close to the Roman ruins.
Another possibility is to check in to a motel in the EUR district around noon the day before your flight and then take mass transit to central Rome for seeing whatever you missed earlier. Either way, you could get up early the day you leave and make it to the airport in time to drop off your car before your flight.
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

I am nervous about driving to the airport to return the car. How difficult is it? I just remember going round and round the Madrid airport a few years ago. Leaving an airport is never too difficult but returning is always a different matter.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
LJ

I am with Tuck: the airport hotel (I think it is a Hilton) is just fine and will save the wear and tear on nerves...you can always have dinner the night before in Rome-the train in and out from the airport to Termini is a breeze even if there is no shuttle.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:11 AM

>> I am nervous about driving to the airport to return the car. How difficult is it? <<

Not at all "difficult". In any case, it's easier than any of the alternatives...