Help with planning a trip to France and Italy with teenagers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling next spring with our youngest two to Europe next Spring, specifically March 26 to April 7. We've decided to visit France and Italy (One of my kids will have had 3 years of French and the other 3 years of Italian.) Right now we're planning on spending the first 5 nights in Paris. Our plan is to do a day trip to Versailles, a day trip to Normandy, and the rest of the time in the city. We then plan on doing a regional airline like EasyJet to Italy. Originally, I was thinking of staying in Rome, and using it like a home base, but now I'm thinking of flying into Naples and using the Sorrento Penninsula as our home base. I like the idea of staying someplace that's less urban. Also, it will be Holy Week in Rome (poor planning on my part) and rediculously crowded. If we stay in Sorrento, I think we would explore the region, Pompeii, maybe Capri, and then catch a train on Easter Sunday back to Rome and spend the last two nights there (we fly out of Rome), so we have one day to see the colosseum and see a few sights (I'm sure museums will be closed since it's la pasquetta). I know we won't see everything, and I'm fine with that. We asked our kids what they wanted to see more than anything and ironically, my son who speaks Italian wants to see the Normandy beaches and my daughter who speaks French wants to see Pompeii.
This possible itinerary seems to make everyone happy. What do you think?
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 12:55 AM

I have never been to Normancy, so I can't comment on its feasibility as a day trip from Paris, but otherwise the trip sounds great to me. In recent years some museums have been opening the day after Easter, so you might get in a few. Even though you didn't choose Naples for a base, I highly recommend that you include a visit to the Archeological museum there because the most important treasures from Pompeii are kept there for safekeeping, so it is really an important aspect of understanding Pompei. It also has many other amazing things.

I think it is great your kids will have a chance to speak the languages they have been learning in school. In some of the places you are going, there is such a steady flow of tourists that a good many locals will automatically assume you would rather converse in English, but I think if your kids declare they are students who want the practice, the locals will help them improve their fluency.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 02:13 AM

Normandy is a long but doable day trip from Paris. But unless you are planning on renting a car you will need to arrange for a tour there in advance - seeing the area just by public transit is complicated and too slow for a day trip.

The area around Sorrento and Pompeii will be OK at that time - not sure of the number of options for getting to Capri that time of year - and a beach resort off season can be kind of boring.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 02:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nytraveler has it perfect.

What you will find is that outside the main cities the locals will let you speak their language. They will help out with what they know and it all becomes a fun game. I just spent a week in rural France and everyone let me stumble along in French. You will find the cities less accomodating as "time is money".

If I wanted to get the kids to do more of the talking and listening I'd stay out of Paris and chose an area, (Normandy is good but go inland for warmth) Maybe Le Mans with its Roman walls (avoid the race week), Rouen or somewhere on the Loire and drive up for the day on the beaches.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 02:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We were in Sorrento last February [click on my screen-name for the link to my TR if you are interested in reading what we did in the week] and there was certainly enough open then to make it interesting, even for teenagers. The trains, buses etc were all running as were the boats to Capri though on a restricted timetable and at Easter even more should be available.

I would agree with Sandralist that you should try to fit in a trip to Naples as well as Pompeii [both reached on the local Circumvesuviana train line]

as for Normandy, I think that with only one day, a tour is your only option. there are quite a few mentioned on threads on this forum if you use the search function.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 03:42 AM

Since Normandy is a big request, arrange a day trip from Paris. When we were there we saw numbers of tours visiting the sites. It will be a very long day but possible. For the trip to Versailles, I would play that by ear. You have only a part of the first day and the last day (if any). You may find you just would rather stay in Paris. Have you evenly split your time? Seems more in Italy. Well, actually seems a short time in paris, to me!! LOL
As for staying outside the city in order to speak French, there will be PLENTY of people to speak with, IF that is so important.
As for Italy, keep it simple.
Staying outside of Rome might appeal to me since I'm not a huge fan of that city and it is always crowded and rude! But you have to see the "sites/sights".
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 04:11 AM

Since I was the one who brought up the issue of speaking French and Italian in those countries, I think the kids will get a special consideration from the natives, even in France. I wouldn't skip the things you want to see out of the belief that being outside the cities will improve their odds on giving their French or Italian a workout. In smaller places you often run into locals overeager to show off or practice their English.

If your young folk are not shy about revealing to adults they have come to France or Italy to be better speakers of French and Italian, and to learn from the French and Italians themselves, that is likely to work, even in the cities, where urbanites can be abrupt. In Italy in particular, young people are doted upon and I sometimes think every Italian is a born teacher. They love to teach about their language, their towns, their foods -- and they love to talk and be asked questions.

But in both countries, I hope the family will make an effort to speak to natives who are not waiters, hotel staff and ticket sellers. I hope the youngsters will strike up conversations with natives their own age. With the museums closed, you should have extra time on your hands to make friends!
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 05:46 AM

I totally agree about making every effort to speak the language--and also to be aware of the cultural amenities of saying bonjour upon entering a shop, and au revoir when leaving, etc. The French in particular I think prize people at least trying to speak, and don't worry so much about tense and gender agreement--just plunge in!!
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insights from all of you. We are trying to split the time down the middle. Though our time in France may end up being one night shorter.
We've done the day trip to Normandy before with our other two children some years ago and managed to make it work, so I'm too worried about that. We also plan on going to the archeology museum in Naples. I really do hope that our kids will get the chance to really converse. Experiencing culture is what it's all about.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 03:42 AM

To offer a harsh criticism, your hectic ambitions appear to be built on contradictory motivations. You will need to spend a lot of time on planes/trains/automobiles to cover so much ground. That will prevent your budding linguists from getting out on the streets to talk. They won't pick up much in Paris, for instance, since the first day is actually a half-day after arrival, and then away on two lengthy day trips inside some form of transport. The move to Italy will consume most of a day. That leaves only one full day on the fabled boulevards of Paris, barely enough for bonjour/ciao.
Sorry, but to even scratch the surface they could spend the entire time in Paris and perhaps a couple of days in the south, flying into one city and home out of another (maybe Marseille?) Going slow is the best way to absorb culture.
All of you can give Italy a fair shake on the next trip.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 06:41 AM
jgg

We have also done a daytrip to Normandy from Paris, and while a long day, certainly very doable. We spent roughly the same time of year in Sorrento in 2013, definitely not beach weather for us but a lot was open and we particularly enjoyed our day in Capri. We were also there Holy Week, spent Easter Sunday in Sorrento - where surprisingly all the stores were open on Easter Sunday. Here are some links to my trip reports along with pictures. We were also traveling with our kids on the two trips:

http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...pe/italy-2013/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/05/a-week-in-paris/
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 06:50 AM

Weatherwise, March is not the best time to visit Normandy. It will probably be rainy and windy. You might consider reversing your trip, doing Italy first because it will be a little warmer there. However, the weather in Normandy won't be that much better in early April.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Not too worried about weather. If it rains, it rains, just use an umbrella! I've been to France in all seasons and just plan accordingly. Where we're from kids start wearing shorts and t-shirts as soon as it hits 50 degrees in the winter. @jgg-thanks for the Easter week tip for Sorrento!
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 06:10 AM

Well, I remember being in Normandy the beginning of June, in Arromanches overlooking the beach. The wind was fierce, the rain was horizontal. Pretty hard on an umbrella. It wasn't very cold however, not as cold as it would be in March.